APC Forum

Glow Plugs

kwinchee

Well I have been tapping on ebay and i thought to my self could i use a glow plug in a bp cannon or combustion spud gun, I did a few searchers and there is nothing realy on them in cannons and such.

So will it be possible to use 1 to ignight a spud gun or a bp cannon as i can get a set up with 4 plugs and the ignighter do dad and the charger off a mate for $20

I dont know about spud guns but I remember reading some website. I think it was pyrotek that sold solid fueled cannons that used a glow plug for igniton.

I don't think it would work for spudguns. Spuds need a spark and the glow plugs just get red hot and won't ignite the fuel.

For a BP cannon I don't see why not because the glow plug should be hot enough to ignite it. The only problem is the glow plug fouling quickly because the BP will not burn completely and some debris will get in the glow plug and it won't work correctly.

For the cannon i was thinking of having a piece of galvanized steel pipe with a threaded end cap with the glow plug in the end cap so I can screw it off to clean it but I am worried about the end cap being shot off in the other direction, any better ideas? And I will wire the plug to my remote relay switch year, I want it to fire golf balls and golf ball sized shells .

And it would ignight NC for sure? as it dose not take much to light

The pipe with a thread on end cap will be fine. To protect yourself from a shoot out make the cannon's frame very thick and since your using electric ignition you can proabably fully incase the back end to the cannon with a couple 2x4's. In other words make a thick box with the cannon sticking out of the side with a door/hole for the ignition wire.

As for the plug, I was talking about the plug itself getting dirty. Not the cannon. If dirt gets in the plug it will foul and not get that hot anymore. I use it in my rc cars and the dirt from the fuel and oil fouls my plugs and will probably be alot worse in the cannon.

My friend has a cannon and when it goes off it tumbles backward about twenty feet. So when you make this use two rebar or rods to secure it, one in front one in back.

Ok that sound good and glow plugs are cheap $4 and if i get 10-20 shots out of 1 i will be happy, But is ther a better way to do it with a reusibal ignition sourse as wenever i make ignightors thay dont work

Have you tried igniters using nichrome wire?

lol no not realy I did once sum work some dont just like my slow bp no matter wat i do it is slow i have a lot of bad luck

You don't really need fast BP for an igniter. You just need something that 'll burn when it comes into contact with the red, hot, nicrome wire.

Frogfot- Frogfot's page has a good section on electric igniters. He uses BP and nitrocellulose laquer as the ignition composition.