APC Forum

Kno3 milling

BombBuilder

I got grants stump remover which is Kno3 in pellet form. I am using it to mix with sugar for smoke bombs. If I milled it into a fine powder will it work any better in the fianlly smoke composition, after melting everything together?

The KNO3 doesn’t melt when you make smoke mix, it’s the sugar that melts so it would be best to mill it or at lest grind it up in a coffee grinder. I’ve found that the finer the KNO3 is the better.

The KNO3 doesn’t melt when you make smoke mix, it’s the sugar that melts so it would be best to mill it or at lest grind it up in a coffee grinder. I’ve found that the finer the KNO3 is the better.

Does the KNO3 not recrystallize?

Isn't that the whole points of RCandy? To get the KNO3 to recrystallize with the sugars included into it...

Does the KNO3 not recrystallize?

Isn't that the whole points of RCandy? To get the KNO3 to recrystallize with the sugars included into it...

I don’t think it would, it does in recrystallised RP which is a different process.

Yes, RCandy involves some water or corn syrup, which would act as a bit of a solvent. If you're melting KNO3, you're surely lighting the thing off, it melts several hundred degrees higher than sucrose.

If its in pellet form, I would mill it down to a powder. If you try to make smoke bombs with pellets of KNO3, you'll probably end up with a very uneven burn and a lot of left over slag.

My KNO3 is in granulated form, about 100 mesh, and I use it for everything from smoke bombs to BP.