APC Forum

Parents and Chemicals

BombBuilder

Im 14, and I live in southern california of the USA. I don't have a credit card or a bank account for not essientale items. I only have a bank account for college funds.

A huge problem I have is not being able to order chemicals off the internet, Cause my parents dont want me making fireworks, although I ama loud to play with them, when Im in the dessert. I can easily do stuff without them knowing, depending on what it is. I cannot use there credit card online, they always check up on were they have used them, even thoguh were RICH. I don't get a big aloounce though, only $40 a month.

So how do I order chemicals?

Do I make a bank account for this stuff, and make a paypal account saying im 18?

What do i do?

Are there people on this forum that I can buy chemcials from?

without them getting in trouble by sending it in the mail?

I mean, What in the heak do i do?

PLease Help, and give me ideas, or answers!

Thanks,

-BB

thats funny i live in so cal! give me a PM where you live. i know another pyro who lives here.

about the other thing....it took a while fpr my parents to i don't suggest going around them its gonna be hard i suggest slowly and persistently working on them nad working up ie can i get kno3 IF you watch me while i make the smoke bombs or i have done my research i know the proper saftey precautions can i do that.

"I don't get a big allowance? only $40 a month"

Are you kidding me kid? get a job and tell your parents to stop paying you... freeloader :D

Really if your sneaking around behind your parents you shouldn't be doing this... Especially with a name like "BombBuilder"

You have to use your parents ID with a signed agreement for most pyro sites...

Either get your parents to allow you to make fireworks or buy your chemicals locally...

I don't know if your username reflects your interests, but I have to stress that we don't build bombs here!

When I was 14, the closest I came to homemade fireworks was an easter egg shell filled with jumping jacks and strapped to an estes rocket engine! Maybe this sounds a little extreme, but I personally think people who get involved in the art and science of pyrotechnics should at least have gone through the basic high school science courses (chem/physics). Not because you necessarily need to know all that stuff, but you need the reasoning skills that you subconciously develop in these courses. I'm sure some people get early exposure to the sciences, and that's great. I'm just trying to generalize here ;) .

Also, when doing stuff behind your parents' back is most likely when you'll get yourself hurt or accidentally burn down the town, stuff like that. It's actually nice to have your parents there to help you stomp out any fires and stuff (I refer to my family as "amatuer firefighters" when setting something off - I keep them at a safe distance of course). I don't even live in a high fire risk area or anything...but you should know that extra precautions are always necessary to make sure everyone stays safe.

ah yes, i remember when i was to young to get what i needed. i was 11 when my father taught me how to make BP. it was the best thing ever, learned how to make smoke bomb on my own, my mother was not to concerned about it though, i got all my chems. from a local pharmecy, the guy that owned it was about 90, never did ask why a 11-12 year old wanted saltpeter, he would order it for me. but i live in a small town my entire life. i recomend try locol stores/old pharmacy ect..

the pharmecy i used to get stuff from sold everything including chems. for nitroglycerine, (only tried twice, woo scary when spontaneous combust, err) either way, try small local places... I buy 50 Lb. bags of fertalizer grade potasium nitrate from a farm/seed supply store near me for $35

Guest Mark_the_pyro

You should respect your parents wishes, and not do this. California I hear is bad enough with 1.4g fireworks, let alone anything homemade...

And honestly, if I was your mom/dad, I would be a little worried too, if my son used the name "bomb builder," couldn't spell, and tried to make whatever behind my back.

And honestly, if I was your mom/dad, I would be a little worried too, if my son used the name "bomb builder," couldn't spell, and tried to make whatever behind my back.

That what I was trying to have him interpret, but I didn't really want to blatantly say it because Mumbles doesn't like when others try to "moderate"...

But really, I don't think you should be allowed here at all as a 14 year old from California with the name BombBuilder... It does seem that most of the bad videos on youtube are from idiots from California... even if we have some smart pyros here from SoCal...

But really, I don't think you should be allowed here at all as a 14 year old from California with the name BombBuilder... It does seem that most of the bad videos on youtube are from idiots from California... even if we have some smart pyros here from SoCal...

i resent that as i fit most of that description.

although i do think the username is slightly inappropriate you dont have to hassle him he's just asking

Mark_the_pyro i dont know where you got off playing god but you dont have to be such an asshole if i recall you posted passifire torrents and i think you are doing more harm than good to our hobby. i do agree with you however nothing god can come of sneaking behind your parents back i suggest you work on them start small and be safe.

Guest Mark_the_pyro

Regardless of how bombbuilder will take my advice, I am only trying to help the kid out, as everyone else is on this thread, so I do not understand how that makes me act all high and mighty.

And as for that torrent, how does releasing high quality information to the masses make any difference at all? Those who possess a genuine interest in pyrotechnics will use the information. Those who are into making salutes and bombs.....this information will not help them whatsoever. I presume you are a passfire member, please link me something where a kewl can use it. The bomb makers and other morons want a quick, easy, loud device, and very very few will feel like spending hours constructing a maltese shell, or paying a fair amount of money and time looking around for tools and chemicals. I challenge you to reply, and explain how high quality information is "bad for our hobby." No, it is the countless crap sites that hurt our hobby. What you are angry about is the copyright issue, which is valid, and I paid for it. If I compiled that information or released all of it legally, I imagine the feedback would be considerately more positive. Realize, most of passfire's article's come right from other books or sites. And, why even pay for information? Regardless what ANYONE will say, you know you would rather want this information free.

In short:

You don't order/buy chemicals. Your parents order/buy chemicals or not at all. Your 14 and with plenty of delusions about this hobby.

Ask yourself this:

"If i have to ask such incredibly basic questions... am I really ready for hobby pyrotechnics? Especially in a very pyro-unfriendly area. AND against my parent's wishes."

Go on with your life and just read about pyrotechnics from afar for now. Perhaps 2 years from now you will be better suited to such a hobby.

Well I think I just hit rock bottom ; my mother took my lab away!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: this can't be happening... I just wish it would be a bad dream... It's because of my chem teacher: he sais "I knew a guy that synthetised a chemical and the temperature outside was 2°C higher and the guy lost his eyes, an 1 arm..." My god what am I gonna do now?! she said that on my next 2 tests if I get a score of 19/20 or 20/20 I will get it back... So I think I'm gonna start studying 2 weeks before the test! I just still can't beleive it, Man I'm Pissed.

Oskar

PS: well maybe I will order som chemicals so that when I get back into it I will do a lot of shells....

oskarchem: no doubt the chem teacher didn't mention what chemical he was synthesizing, ethyl perchlorate or something else insane.

oskarchem, try to get to know your chem teacher better. I've known mine for about three years now and I sometimes stay after class for half an hour or an hour just talking about rockets and different types of reations. You'll probably be amazed at how much he/she might know and possibly even learn a thing or two. Also get the teacher's respect and you might get your lab for good.

I'm thinking about giving all my chems to my teacher when I go to college in about a year. She'll probably appreciate them...

I also stay some times with my chem teacher after class, but mo mother god on my nerves, well I thim i'm gonna make some paper shells for the day she gives it back to me.

Okar