APC Forum

1/2'' and 3/4'' crossettes

sparky

Has anybody ever had problems with charcoal or glitter mixes bending and flaking off after extraction.I have tried different dwell times and different pressures but they still are flaking off

That happens to me when I overwet them.

Try making the mixture less damp and instead use more pressure to press them.

It may be the tooling. This happens to me on my cheapass brass 7/8" comet pump. I dropped it or something, so now one side resists just a little bit more and it comes out kinda bent even after excessive sanding and smoothing. I just press it back together, and let it dry normally, and they are just as hard as any other comets. I've only done glitter and charcoal and other similar tailed comps, so I don't know if it would happen with colors or anything. For wetting and binding I use a 4% soln of gum arabic. I leave the dex in there for good measure too.t I add this in a percentage of 6% per dry mass of comp. So if I have 1000g to press, I use 60mL.

I've never had this problem with crossettes t5hough. Perhaps it's because my tooling is relatively new and unused. It also comes from Wolter which is always very high quality. If it is related to the comp sticking to the pin, try silicon spray lubricant or Pam cooking spray.

Yeah I got all my tooling from wolter nice stuff but any how I did drop it and that may be the problem ill have to see if my 1/2'' is bent a little bit my problem sounds alot like yours to take the crossette off i just slide it out and then back in until it lets loose