APC Forum

Commercial fireworks expiration date?

pixl

Just wandering how long it is safe to store commercial salutes. Ok, it's never safe to store fireworks, but I got a bunch of rockets and shells that are soon two years old and I need to know if there is a chance of them self igniting while just laying around. Is there a chance of chemicals used in them reacting over time and forming unstable compounds?

I read about something like this and mumbles was discussing about it also with some one else and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure he said that there really isn't any experation date on fireworks.

Rockets and Shells aren't all salutes...

It matters who made the fireworks... If you bought them from a commercial fireworks retailer they should be made with compounds that should be safe for a very long time...

If you bought them illegally you never know... The flash powder in illegal fireworks could be some off mix like KNO3/Al/S, Mg/KNO3 (doubt this), or something else which could spontaneously ignite if not handled/stored properly...

Theres no set expiration date on fireworks. However repeated heating and cooling cycles, as well as exposure to humidity in a magazine will tend to degrade the products over time. After a few years, they would be one of those things that I would light, and get very far away from. 2 years you should still be alright, especially if properly made. Professional high quality fireworks should last 10 years with no questions. The lift may lose potency, but the shell itself should be fine.

I would store those in a magazine for sure, especially because they're salutes. You should be alright as you already stated they were commercial, but I would use them with great caution.

• 2 weeks later...
What about the fireworks from 76Wholesale I suppose their good, I'm thinking about stocking up before New Years while ever things dirt cheap.