APC Forum

Different Classes?

Mumbles

After talking with some people, I may go ahead and put in different classes of shell competitions. Say a 6"+ category, and lower than 6". What do you guys think? Due to less entries, the 6"+ would have unlimited entries for judging. Meaning more than 1 could be judged. There are a few people that want to enter rather large shells, and I don't think it would be completely fair to have 3" shells going up against 10". Yes, there may well be some 10" shells.

What does everyone else think?

That is my though exactly. Comparing a 3" with a 8" isn't really reasonable so I hope to see different categories.

I think you should have 1.4g size (i.e. 1 5/8" to 1 3/4" shells), 3" through 4" and 6" and above. Which makes three groups.

I doubt anyone will be making 5" shells.

To my knowledge, the UN classification(1.x) is not only determined by size, but by type and amount of explosive in the device. That's why it isn't the best classification for this application. Surely there might be some larger shells than 5", but I think the two class system suggested by Mumbles is good enough.

I'm not so sure about having only 2 classes. Seems to lump shells together that really shouldn't be. Maybe restrict it to 5" and under?

I mean, 6" and 2" is no comparison. From what I've seen aired on video, even a crap-built 6" shell "looks" better (on video) than a very good 2" shell. Maybe all I've seen are lousy videos, though...

Whatta ya think? Am I all wet, misinformed, or what?

M

To my knowledge, the UN classification(1.x) is not only determined by size, but by type and amount of explosive in the device.

You're absolutely right, that's just what I refer to shells of that size (anything that'll fit into a 1.4g mortar), for simplicity's sake.

Again, personally I think there should be 3 classes. There's a huge difference between a 3" or 4" shell and a "1.4g" shell. The difference is extremely pronounced when you start banging out 6" and above shells.

We will make final determinations when we see the entries. I don't know how many class c sized shells we will be getting.

• 10 months later...
I think you could classify shells by the diameter of the tube they can be fired from. That seems to be the determining factor in commercial shells. I would start at 2" for small shells and then progress in 1" increments for the larger shells since this seems to be standard.

If we do use 2 classes, it would probably be 4" and below, and 5" plus. So big shells, and smaller shells. Doing every single size just isn't possible due to lack of entries.