APC Forum

Kitty Litter as nozzle mix?

Gottagotomoz

"Oiled clay compacts easier and is less likely to be affected by high humidity. Clay without oil tends to expand in wet weather - and if your motor is on the red line, the decrease in the nozzle opening could make it CATO.. Others like to add grog (ceramic dust) with the oil/wax thinking that it grabs the sides of the cardboard better. I don't like to add grog because, if I have to ream the clay out or make a passfire, the grog is a spark producer. For most rockets you can get by with lightly oiled clay."

I think they were stored for 2-3 months max... they were made in November and shot in February (I think).

They only crumbled around the edge at the end... and it didn't seem to affect performance.

The reason I stopped adding oil is because it just made things easier. I could use it right out of the bag. I lived in Utah at the time though, where it's extremely dry. Being on the east coast now, I can picture moisture becoming an issue.

I just like to harass you, because you seem to have one way of doing things, and never deviate... and sell your goods as gold. :P

"I just like to harass you, because you seem to have one way of doing things, and never deviate... and sell your goods as gold. :P"

I dont mean to come across that way, it's just that I do what works for me and move on to something else, I really have way to much to do and should not be messing around with fireworks at all and am thinking about giving it up. For know I will keep doing what works and experiment with the things I have not done (a lot) or what seems to not work the best. I will try some dry clay (you have me wondering now).

I dont like telling people a way of doing things and it then not working for them so I will keep my ways to my self I guess.

"I just like to harass you, because you seem to have one way of doing things, and never deviate... and sell your goods as gold. :P"

I dont mean to come across that way, it's just that I do what works for me and move on to something else, I really have way to much to do and should not be messing around with fireworks at all and am thinking about giving it up. For know I will keep doing what works and experiment with the things I have not done (a lot) or what seems to not work the best. I will try some dry clay (you have me wondering now).

I dont like telling people a way of doing things and it then not working for them so I will keep my ways to my self I guess.

Oh, don't start the pity party... more information is always better. Do you want us to beg you to share your ideas? It seems like that is a common theme with fireworkers (or people in general)... they get all offended, and then say stuff like "I'll just keep my comments to myself now" when it's blatantly obvious they're looking for 10 people to say, "oh no, we love you... please share with us".

I too am considering "getting out of the hobby"... have been for awhile. It's still fun, but all the drama is getting to me lately. Also, my family doesn't really enjoy it anymore, so it's kind of selfish (and potentially a waste of my time) to continue doing it.

I just haven't found anything to fill it's place yet though... :)

Edited by ddewees

Oh, don't start the pity party... more information is always better. Do you want us to beg you to share your ideas? It seems like that is a common theme with fireworkers (or people in general)... they get all offended, and then say stuff like "I'll just keep my comments to myself now" when it's blatantly obvious they're looking for 10 people to say, "oh no, we love you... please share with us".

I too am considering "getting out of the hobby"... have been for awhile. It's still fun, but all the drama is getting to me lately. Also, my family doesn't really enjoy it anymore, so it's kind of selfish (and potentially a waste of my time) to continue doing it.

I just haven't found anything to fill it's place yet though... :)

Wow "pity party" not hardly, my ideas are not my ideas just things I have found on the net so any one can find "my ideas", I am not offended but for the most part I know I dont have much to offer so I dont expect any one to beg me for my information as I dont have squat.

You are a funny funny man. :D

"I too am considering "getting out of the hobby".."

Part of the problem for me is I am in a black hole here and too far from a club, it takes some of the fun out of it.

"I just haven't found anything to fill it's place yet though... :)"

Try Jesus!

:)

you realize, when you adulterate threads with cross-forum discussions, it makes the average reader confused...

you realize, when you adulterate threads with cross-forum discussions, it makes the average reader confused...

You said you have not found any thing to fill its place and I offered Jesus, why would the average reader be confused??

"I just haven't found anything to fill it's place yet though... :)"

Try Jesus!

Now I'm confused. Oldspark, are you claiming that apart from adding 5% mineral oil to your nozzle mix, you also add a touch of Jesus!.. Well, whatever works for ya. :P

I add 5% parrafin wax to fireclay (melted in an oven). I tried bentonite but found it too slippery. After sifting, the fireclay has many tiny granules which help for grip. A bit rough on the tooling though.

Cheers.

Edited by stix

I thought you were being facetious, since you're a non believer.

Never once said I did not believe in Jesus.

Just the dry kitty litter works for me.

So does Jesus, if I can keep my self out of the way.

That's because there aren't 90 different threads asking the exact same question here.

• Like 1

"14 pages of discussing nozzel mix,only here."

That is coming from someone who has never had trouble with his nozzles or hasn't made anything..

Screentopper,

Some people fight little problems for quite a while. Others never even know there could be a problem.. There is a lot of variables to nozzles depending on your tubes , pressing, and purpose.

• Like 1

14 pages of discussing nozzel mix,only here.

Says the guy that showed up here to sell.. screentoppers.

Dude, your sales pitch sucks.

• Like 1

14 pages of discussing nozzel mix,only here.

Yeah sorry about that screentoppers. I think it was my fault that the page count finally clicked over to 14. Pretty bloody typical of me. Sometimes I don't think properly. Although I do seem to remember looking at the page count thinking 13 is an unlucky number..., "should I, or shouldn't I?" and I just couldn't help myself. At least that's what I think may have happened, but I can't be sure, such is my condition.

I'm certainly no troll or lurker, but I do seem to have a 'page count' fetish, where I try my best to either start the page, end the page, or lately it's been rolling over to a new one, which gives me the greatest satisfaction. Mostly I get away with it, and sometimes if I'm good, they even let me out to wreak my perversions on other unsuspecting forums.

I don't think I've ever read all 14 pages of this thread, but I've certainly come across this thread, and various pages of it when I was browsing. I just looked back to the original post, page 1, post #1.

Recently, I have been looking for bentonite clay for my nozzles. I couldn't seem to find any at my local art stores. I looked up Kitty-litter (I read some use this), and found out that it is actually made up of bentonite clay. So I proceeded to ball mill some until it was somewhat finely powdered. Has anyone ever used this for making nozzles? Have you experienced problems? (blowouts etc.) I would be more than happy to test it out, however I have not yet recieved my order of tubes and tooling.

The Op seems to have a reasonable understanding of making rocket motors and is looking for an alternate option for making easier "pressable" nozzles?.

If you've been making amateur rockets for some time, then the question of various nozzle formulas, ie. safe, easy, rammable, reliable, cost-effective etc. - will inevitably arise. The answer will depend on your situation, ie. how much time you are prepared to invest in such pusuit? It could be a never-ending path - if that is your bent.

Kitty Litter as a nozzle mix?... I've never used it, but via this thread and other sources, I know that it is used by many successfully. You need to compress it really well though (whatever that means). Other formulas, not so, in my experience.

I like this from Caleb:

Some people fight little problems for quite a while. Others never even know there could be a problem.. There is a lot of variables to nozzles depending on your tubes , pressing, and purpose

Also Mumbles pointed out as to why there are so many pages to this thread:

That's because there aren't 90 different threads asking the exact same question here.

That is a good thing, it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to get to is that why. . . hang on . . . hang on . . . I think someone just called "medication time" . . . sorry guys, got to go. :P

Can we make it 15??

I was going to try kitty litter but I have to buy a big bag that would out last me so I just stick with the clay as its cheap and always order when I need something else so shipping charges are less.

Oil dry might work also, might have to grind it up first I suppose, I do have plenty of oil dry for the shop.

Edited by oldspark

Yeah sorry about that screentoppers. I think it was my fault that the page count finally clicked over to 14. Pretty bloody typical of me. Sometimes I don't think properly. Although I do seem to remember looking at the page count thinking 13 is an unlucky number..., "should I, or shouldn't I?" and I just couldn't help myself. At least that's what I think may have happened, but I can't be sure, such is my condition.

I'm certainly no troll or lurker, but I do seem to have a 'page count' fetish, where I try my best to either start the page, end the page, or lately it's been rolling over to a new one, which gives me the greatest satisfaction. Mostly I get away with it, and sometimes if I'm good, they even let me out to wreak my perversions on other unsuspecting forums.

I don't think I've ever read all 14 pages of this thread, but I've certainly come across this thread, and various pages of it when I was browsing. I just looked back to the original post, page 1, post #1.

The Op seems to have a reasonable understanding of making rocket motors and is looking for an alternate option for making easier "pressable" nozzles?.

If you've been making amateur rockets for some time, then the question of various nozzle formulas, ie. safe, easy, rammable, reliable, cost-effective etc. - will inevitably arise. The answer will depend on your situation, ie. how much time you are prepared to invest in such pusuit? It could be a never-ending path - if that is your bent.

Kitty Litter as a nozzle mix?... I've never used it, but via this thread and other sources, I know that it is used by many successfully. You need to compress it really well though (whatever that means). Other formulas, not so, in my experience.

I like this from Caleb:

Also Mumbles pointed out as to why there are so many pages to this thread:

That is a good thing, it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, what I'm really trying to get to is that why. . . hang on . . . hang on . . . I think someone just called "medication time" . . . sorry guys, got to go. :P

will never get to page 15 unless we stay on topic.

To fear the Lord brings wisdom!

Yeah, granted that my last post was mainly waffle - but this part was actually "on topic"

. . . The Op seems to have a reasonable understanding of making rocket motors and is looking for an alternate option for making easier "pressable" nozzles?.

Kitty Litter as a nozzle mix?... I've never used it, but via this thread and other sources, I know that it is used by many successfully. You need to compress it really well though (whatever that means). Other formulas, not so, in my experience . . .

Cheers.

cheap dollar store non fragrant kitty litter is %100 betonite clay work very well!!!

I would imagine that depending on the brand, some kitty litter has various additives that make some work better than others, and therefore experiences and results may vary? That's why I use a known source of fireclay.

I don't really know because I've never made experimental comparisons, but perhaps that's the case. Regardless, once you have found a nozzle formula that works well for YOU, It will take some compelling evidence to change.

Cheers.

Yes to Fresh Step! It works great. I have found that Tidy Cats is a reasonable second though. I bought an old blender from a second hand store ($4.00) and run the kitty litter though that for a few seconds before using it. If you get Tidy Cats fine it works O.K.