APC Forum

Rules

Mumbles

The official Start of these competitions is: Midnight March 2nd, 2006 and ends in 6 months.

• All devices must be shot after the official beginning of the contest.
  • There may be unlimited submissions, but please select the one you feel is your best to be judged per each competition.
  • A video is not required, but action shots must be submitted if a video is not.
  • No purchased items, all items must be homemade. Fuse, cardboard products, shell casings, and black powder are exempt from this rule.
  • A proper description of the device is required.
  • Files must be hosted somewhere that may be accessed at any time. You may use the filehost here on APC. www.apcforum.net/files
  • A prefiring image must be submitted.
  • There must be at least 5 entries into a competition for it to be judged.
  • If no one person produces and adequate device, the Judges reserve the right to not give an award.

We will look at proper functionality, overall difficulty, amount of effort, timing, overall asthesics, artistry, uniqueness, and just plain badassedness. Size does not neccesarily mean better. The more effects, the more impressive it can be, but it also makes it more prone to not function correctly and to seem too busy. You are better off keeping it simpler than too complicated. Unique effects will get bonus points.

I think that about covers it. What do you guys think?

Please note: Use the filehost, not the file attachment. Don't use names like "Myfirework" or "Shell 3". It should be something like (Username)(Competition)(Submussion number). So say I was submitting my third aerial shell. The name would be Mumbles_Aerial_3.mpg

Edited by Mumbles

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumbles

• TheSidewinder

• mormanman

• marks265

I have a few questions. Would a double petal shell be considered two units? If someone rolls their stars on store bought dragons eggs or primers is that breaking the roles, because are not homemade? If not would they still be considered two units, because they are a different effects? :huh:

Multiple effects within one shells count as one unit.

Anyway, double petal wouldn't be an issue unless you have a lot of them.

Commercial dragon's eggs are fine as long as they are not the sole effect. Primers are also alright.

1) When is the official deadline for entries ? [edit] OK, I just read that on the other thread.. 6 months.

2) Who are the judges ( and can they be bribed :rolleyes: )

3) What is the prize ?

Good point on the judges. The mods/admis were last time, but I plan on competing this time. I think we have a certain person competing this time, so I may not end up competing and my shit would be kicked. I'll just find some people I respect that didn't compete at the end and have them be judges. Therefore you can't bribe them :P Though by bribing me, I can "specially" select the judges.

The only prize is pride, and maybe a special tag or something.

Do model rockets count for the rocket competition or does it have to be a firework? I was thinking doing a high end rocket with a very large engine. It would just be the normal day shot and poping parachute model rocket and of course the model is going to be homemade and the engine is going to be homemade. Probably a G size engine or bigger...not sure yet.

As long as stuff is home made it is fine by me. I can't make any guarantees as to how it would be judged in comparison to more pyrotechnic based rockets.

Yeah, you know what? I am taking out that "units" thing. It is just confusing, even to me.

This might be a stupid question but what does 'There must be at least 5 entries into a competition for it to be judged.' Does this mean we need to make 5 diffrent fireworks in that catergory and submit a portfolio. And if so do we have to submit them all at once or can the 5 entries be submitted over a period of time?

I means that for there to be a competition, there must be five things being judged. It doesn't mean you have to submit five, there just need to be at least five in that category for it to be judged.

That may be changed to 3. It means at least 3 different people must submit devices. For the large shells that will be waived. Only 3 devices, reguardless of different makers will be required.

• 3 weeks later...

i think it wouldnt be fair to do the competition on things like shalls, rockets as one category because rockets with A engen can compit with D engens

just like shells with size 2" can compit with 8"

i think you should devaid the competitions to lests say shalls every 2" is an another competition.

and the rockets the same.

No, that is way to many competitions. I am thinking 4" and under, and everything about 4". There is no way we would get enough entries for the competitions your way. I basically am doing it your way, only lumping 5,6,8,10 and 12 together as not enough people make them for them to have their own competitions. For minishells, they can just string a few together and make a cake, if they don't feel they are competitive in the shell competition. We will break up other competitions if they need it.

• 1 month later...

ime a newbie to pyro so is thare a newbie competition and a long timers competition.

if so i will probabley join in :) :D [/b]

I doubt that will happen. Like Mumbles posted above you, there will be too many competitions and not enough people entering.

• 4 months later...
Is the competition officially over now?

Theres not enough entries in most of the competitions. So I am going to let it run a while longer. Possibly until the end of the year.

If you do that, could you let it end them on like the fift of januari?

Because I am making as much shells as I possibly can for newyears eve, than I can enter them. (I have made cakes and other stuff to ^_^ )

But that is not my decision to make.. :)

• 2 months later...
Hmm, this is enticing, i have a couple 1-3/4" starmines, a 1-3/4" canister shell i have wanted to try for ages, and a bunch of spherical 3" shells... I don't know if i will have time to go out to an area to shoot them off any time soon though...

bob,

I suspect the contest will run quite a bit longer. Doesn't look like there's enough entries even yet. Mumbles will probably update this within the month.

There's some seriously good entries already, but more entries would be nice.

M

Yeah, we decided to let them run through the end of the year, as nothing had enough entries at the time. Besides I need to get my ass in gear and make some stuff.

You're the Judge. You can't enter.

:rolleyes:

M

P.S. For an appropriate bri.... I mean, contribution to my fireworks fund, I'll volunteer to be a judge. My lone entry aint gonna win anything anyway, so I can easily be impartial. Hell, I'll even do it for free.

P.P.S. Push the cutoff beyond Australia Day (25 Jan), and we might get a few (more) entries from the Aussie pyros. I'll *be* in Oz (Perth) at that time, and can't wait to see the fireworks!

I never said I was going to be a judge. I won't be if I have anything that could possibly even be considered in the top 5. My good stuff won't be here until at the very least next summer. I have some things floating around in my brain that need to be worked on.

As far as the end of January, it could probably be done. There haven't been a whole lot of new entries.