APC Forum

Compositions using only Kno3 charcoal and sulfur

BPinthemorning

• 1 year later...

Ahh, question answered above, how do I delete this post.

Edited by davis050594

• 4 weeks later...
Hey I also use the PGI formula but I dont use the dextrin instead I wet it down just right put it in a 2"pump I made from PVC and some wood as my rammer then I put it in a shop vise I have this works very well and they come out pretty solid also the no dextrin means it burns sooooooo much faster using about 7gr of lift on a 2" I have sent it up about a good 200 to 250 feet!!good luck.

• 5 years later...

i don't remember where i find it,so i don't know if it is 1.2 or 12..

If someone else know this composition maybe can help.

its 12 but i never test it

• 6 months later...

Can someone help me out with a nice BP formula for Burst charge.

The problem is that I cannot mill it together. Will it work ?

You didn't say for what size of shell. For shells under 150mm diameter, no... you must mill it to get enough explosive force to do the job.

Lloyd

Regarding the Ofca formulas Mumbles was talking about: I've made it both ways and I like the one with meal powder better. Mine were 3/4" cut stars. When making them with the meal powder (I used mill dust), 2 different charcoals are employed. I think that's what makes them better. The hot BP charcoal in the mill dust gives the speed and spread to the sparks. The slower charcoal makes the sparks. This is just my conclusion based on what I saw. Spider stars are my favorite. Ofca's first formula is my favorite spider star. When he saw my stars, Mr. Ofca asked for permission to use them in an article! I was pretty flattered. Anyhow, these are the stars, jumble-filled in a 4" cylinder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C_oiwiHhfY

That's still my favorite formula. Both Ofca formulas are compositionally the same. The one with meal doesn't require milling on it's own, the other is intended to be milled together as one composition. Personal preference. While my favorite formula, I've started using a Swisher formula for my spider stars. It doesn't necessitate milling, and has a bit of lampblack in it. Messy, but I like it.

I really like the idea of using two different charcoal sources. A friend gave a formula of his own take on tiger tail. It's still the standard ratio but has a mix of pine, airfloat, lampblack, and crushed BBQ briquettes. It seems complicated but the effect is spectacular.

• 5 months later...

I found this composition

White star:

67. KNO3

31.Sulfur

1.2 Charcoal

4 Dextrin

Has anyone test this composition?is it real white?

anyone have a video of this ? my stuff for colored stars wont be here till friday :( so im looking for something other then glitter or tiger tail stars i can make for tonight

I've never made that specific formula, but have made two similar ones. Give it a shot if you'd like, but I'd describe the color as more of a light grey than anything. White really requires metals or antimony trisulfide in my opinion.

If you're looking for something new, have you thought about inserts instead of stars? Tourbillions and serpents are easy and just require BP and some tubes.

• Like 1

I've never made that specific formula, but have made two similar ones. Give it a shot if you'd like, but I'd describe the color as more of a light grey than anything. White really requires metals or antimony trisulfide in my opinion.

If you're looking for something new, have you thought about inserts instead of stars? Tourbillions and serpents are easy and just require BP and some tubes.

ill give it a shot here in a few mins , i forgot all about n1 glitter ( i love glitter and strobes ) so atm ive got a batch of n1 sitting in my mixing tub for a few mins before i roll it out and cut it

soon as im done and i clean my tubs ill mix up a batch of that white and give it a shot

i love tourbillions but i need to get some tubes to make them , and at the same time i guess i need to move to cyl shells instead of ball shells so i can actually fit a bunch inside it

• 2 years later...
So- Ive seen lots of CIA, modified CIA, methods. Cooking the K,C,and S together; precip with cold alcohol; but right now you cant get isopropyl for love or money. Ive been wondering.. what do you think about putting the K,C,and S with miinimal water in SS pressure cooker till it gets to 15psi and most of the air is gone, then hitting the pressure cooker with a stream of very cold water. It cools very quickly, even creates a little vacuum. My question is - would the mix deflagrate in the pressure cooker? Scared I might be making a bomb. Or leave the top off, get it boiling, take off heat, seal the top , and immediately hit it with cold water? What do you think? That would keep the cold water off of the mix as it is rapidly cooled.

• 3 months later...

So- Ive seen lots of CIA, modified CIA, methods. Cooking the K,C,and S together; precip with cold alcohol; but right now you cant get isopropyl for love or money. Ive been wondering.. what do you think about putting the K,C,and S with miinimal water in SS pressure cooker till it gets to 15psi and most of the air is gone, then hitting the pressure cooker with a stream of very cold water. It cools very quickly, even creates a little vacuum. My question is - would the mix deflagrate in the pressure cooker? Scared I might be making a bomb. Or leave the top off, get it boiling, take off heat, seal the top , and immediately hit it with cold water? What do you think? That would keep the cold water off of the mix as it is rapidly cooled.

I'm new here. I don't fully understand what your trying to make, but it sounds dangerous to be heating up this mixture.

Any time your confining an energetic comp inside a closed metal casing. Your asking for trouble, that you really don't want. As in - DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT - if you value your well being, and freedom.

Cia powder isn't really a reliable, long term useful practice. There's a reason why the proper name includes " improvised "

Look for denatured alcohol in hardware stores.

If you want to make good BP. You need good charcoal. And, preferably an optimized ball mill, with lead media.

Edited by Carbon796

Pressure cooker full of energetic materials... Where have I heard this before? Im new here and to the hobby in general, but putting a composition designed to generate large quantities of gas inside a pressure vessel and then increasing the internal pressure sounds like a fantastic path to a Darwin award. I understand that it would be kept wet but I still feel this is not a great idea, especially in light of how an adequate powder can be made with screens and a blade grinder. Of course, its ultimately your call. Edited by BasedAndRocketpilled

Anyway, back to the original topic. I have made a white/gray star with 60% potassium nitrate, 30% sulfur, 10% charcoal, + 5% dextrin. It worked best for me when doing cut stars, but you can try to pump them also. All the BP based stars I made would break apart when pumped, but I don't think I added enough water to activate the dextrin. The pumped stars worked okay in mines but they would break up in shells.

Edited by PyroCat