• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 pjn228

pjn228

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

So- Ive seen lots of CIA, modified CIA, methods. Cooking the K,C,and S together; precip with cold alcohol; but right now you cant get isopropyl for love or money. Ive been wondering.. what do you think about putting the K,C,and S with miinimal water in SS pressure cooker till it gets to 15psi and most of the air is gone, then hitting the pressure cooker with a stream of very cold water. It cools very quickly, even creates a little vacuum. My question is - would the mix deflagrate in the pressure cooker? Scared I might be making a bomb. Or leave the top off, get it boiling, take off heat, seal the top , and immediately hit it with cold water? What do you think? That would keep the cold water off of the mix as it is rapidly cooled.

#42 PyroCat

PyroCat

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:00 PM

So- Ive seen lots of CIA, modified CIA, methods. Cooking the K,C,and S together; precip with cold alcohol; but right now you cant get isopropyl for love or money. Ive been wondering.. what do you think about putting the K,C,and S with miinimal water in SS pressure cooker till it gets to 15psi and most of the air is gone, then hitting the pressure cooker with a stream of very cold water. It cools very quickly, even creates a little vacuum. My question is - would the mix deflagrate in the pressure cooker? Scared I might be making a bomb. Or leave the top off, get it boiling, take off heat, seal the top , and immediately hit it with cold water? What do you think? That would keep the cold water off of the mix as it is rapidly cooled.

I'm new here. I don't fully understand what your trying to make, but it sounds dangerous to be heating up this mixture. 

#43 Carbon796

Carbon796

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Interests:Vintage tube radios, Jet Boats, Custom painting.

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:41 PM

Any time your confining an energetic comp inside a closed metal casing. Your asking for trouble, that you really don't want. As in - DO NOT ATTEMPT THAT - if you value your well being, and freedom.

Cia powder isn't really a reliable, long term useful practice. There's a reason why the proper name includes " improvised "

Look for denatured alcohol in hardware stores.

If you want to make good BP. You need good charcoal. And, preferably an optimized ball mill, with lead media.

Edited by Carbon796, 06 August 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#44 BasedAndRocketpilled

BasedAndRocketpilled

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

Pressure cooker full of energetic materials... Where have I heard this before? Im new here and to the hobby in general, but putting a composition designed to generate large quantities of gas inside a pressure vessel and then increasing the internal pressure sounds like a fantastic path to a Darwin award. I understand that it would be kept wet but I still feel this is not a great idea, especially in light of how an adequate powder can be made with screens and a blade grinder. Of course, its ultimately your call.

Edited by BasedAndRocketpilled, 07 August 2020 - 08:13 AM.

#45 PyroCat

PyroCat

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:27 AM

Anyway, back to the original topic. I have made a white/gray star with 60% potassium nitrate, 30% sulfur, 10% charcoal, + 5% dextrin. It worked best for me when doing cut stars, but you can try to pump them also. All the BP based stars I made would break apart when pumped, but I don't think I added enough water to activate the dextrin. The pumped stars worked okay in mines but they would break up in shells. 

Edited by PyroCat, 09 August 2020 - 11:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users