APC Forum

MgSO4 = Oxidizer ?

artificier

hello friend !

I find some info about epsom salt (MgSO4).MgSO4 is an oxidizer

but I never try epsom salt in pyro comp.one of your are try epsom salt in pyro ?

hello friend !

I find some info about epsom salt (MgSO4).MgSO4 is an oxidizer

but I never try epsom salt in pyro comp.one of your are try epsom salt in pyro ?

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/m0234.htm

Why do you say MgSO4 is an oxidizer ? Because it has oxygen atoms ? Evidently it will not give them up easily, perhaps one the chemistry guys here will explain why. It contains a great deal of water of crystallization, and will extinguish fires if you dump it on them.

[edit] did a little bit of searching and here is what I found. Pretty much unless you had anhydrous MgSO4 and Mg fuel and lit it with a high temp source, you're not going to get it to work. It might be possible to make use of it in some strobe composition though.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.pyrotec...913d8ae096e7cff

ah ok now i understant because i find a smoke bomb recipe by the scrap site of anarchist cookbook.but i just take info about this.

Don't trust anything you read on one of those sites. Unless you read about how Kurt Saxon ( the father of this type of site ) blew his hand up. That one is true.

I read that it's an oxygen donor at high temps(?) but I not a hundred percent sure.

If you mix a tablespoon or two with water and drink it, you can get some serious intestinal fireworks :)

Seriously though, like Frozentech said, its use in pyro is nil apart from a few strobe comps that work much better with barium sulfate. There have been discussions on rec.pyro in the past about electrolytically reducing metallic magnesium from solution, but it's always been deemed impractical from an economic standpoint.

You can dry it in the oven to remove its water of hydration and use it as a desiccant though. It will dry acetone quite nicely before you make NC lacquer with it (CaCl2 works great too).

I'm not sure but i hope to melt MgSO4 with sugar for a smoke bomb stuff like kno3/sugar.but its probably impossible to make a smoke bomb with MgSO4/sugar.

OK, just to put the topic to rest... I checked again, and the actual chemical formula for your Epsom Salts is MgSO4.7H2O, it is a heptahydrate, it is like... 87% Water ! You will be holding a match to it for a loooooong time before it lights. Get a real oxidizer :)

Oh and like FrankRizzo said, it's a powerful laxative....

ah ah ok.finaly MgSO4 isn't work in pyro, this stuff work a little bit for few strobe.ok thank all for info ! B)