APC Forum

barium nitrate and strobe compositions

p_y_r_o

Hi

I was wondering if anybody new any strobe compositions which do not use barium nitrate. Also if anybody could give me a figure on barium nitrates toxicity or its role in a strobe composition?

Well, there are actually a lot of strobes without Barium Nitrate. Just search through Wouter Visser's composition database. Pretty much you get your choice between Barium Nitrate and Ammonium Perchlorate. I did find one without it though. Nothing horribly exotic, but again, nothing extremely common either.

Potassium nitrate.................................18

Sulfur............................................3

Lampblack.........................................3

Aluminum..........................................3

Antimony sulfide..................................3

Sodium oxalate....................................4

As far as the toxicity. It is somewhere between 1 and 15g of a lethal dose. It all really depends on the person. Should you swallow some Barium Nitrate, you should drink lots of MgSO4 Soln. Granted you will have horrible diahrea, but you will still be alive. Should you inhale a lot, go to the emergency room. Take it from someone who has gotten barium poisoning, it is not fun at all. Vommiting, migrane headache, nausea, potential diahrea, and potential death.

(note, this is purely speculatory)

As for it's role, I assume it is similar in role to Barium Nitrate in glitters. It reacts to BaS in the star reaction. This acts as a thickener for the liquid, or semi-liquid reaction around the metal. It serves to provide the delay during the smoldering stage somewhat.

Thanks for that mumbles.

Is the Anthimony trisulphide in that composition chinese needle or dark pyro? Also i though barium nitrate was a lot more toxic then that. I think i'll just make the standard.

Barium Nitrate.......51.0 g

Potassium Nitrate..7.0 g

Sulfur...................19.0 g

Magnalium............18.0 g

Dextrin.................5.0 g

Generally for strobes they are chinese needle, but I can't be certain. They both will work, one just works better.

Two more questions.

Is there anyway of changing dark pyro Anthimony trisulphide into chinese needle because i only have acces to the first?

Also does any body know a chemical equasion for strobe formulas?

You can also make strobes with Strontium Nitrate and Mg/Al. I don't have any compositions at hand, but I did post one over a UKRocketry a while back. It doesn't produce the most vivid colour, but a reasonably saturated red/pink can be obtained.

There is no direct formula for strobes, or very much for that matter in pyro. I suggest getting a copy of Glitter: The Chemistry and Techniques by Lloyd Scott Oglesby. It gives a good chemistry and physics explanation of the glitter phenomenon. Many of the ideas could be used to help understand strobes possibly. The two effects work on similar mechanism. Well, they appear to at least. For all I know, strobes could be totally different molecularly. Glitters work on a slurry basis around the metal particles. Strobes may work on a gas as it all flashes at once, instead of individual particles like with glitters.

There is no way to go from dark pyro to chinese needle. You can however go from chinese needle to dark pyro.

You may need to order it from the US. I don't know of any specific suppliers in the UK. I would recomend Prometheus Publications or American Fireworks News. Amazon also has it. For a pyro book, it is actually relativly cheap. About $20 US. I saw one for 16 pounds on amazon.co.uk. It is a scientific journal article, so it is fairly science intensive. It is still relativly easy to follow though.

Another good read which covers strobes is pyrotechnic Chemistrycompiled by the Kosankes. It has a chapter by Clive Jennings - White, which covers the most current hypotheses including Shimizu's, lists some incredibly varied compositions, and also some hypothetical strobe reaction equasions.

I have yet to be able to take a look at much of the Kosanke stuff, so I didn't want to mention it. I don't know any specifics about it, or what topics were covered. I am sure it is excellent though.

Regarding strobe and glitter literature, I really wouldn't recommend Lloyds Scott Oglesby's book. It is written by a confused mind (he turned mentally ill!) and even though he put a lot of effort into his research I'm very sceptic about his conclusions!

Much better are the articles by Clive (now Chloe) Jennings-White published in Journal of pyrotechnics:

Glitter Chemistry (JoP #8)

Strobe Chemistry (JoP #20)

Or, the book Pyrotechnic Chemistry as mentioned by optimus above

Taking a ride on this strobe topic,

I was looking for a easy way of getting magnalium for cheap. I found a place who works with an alloy called "Magnezium AZ 91 alloy".

This alloy contains:

about 9% Al

0.7% Zn

0.2% Mn

and 90% magnesium.

I know it won't be like 60\40 magnalium, but will it be good enogh for strobe, dragon eggs and other effect's who need MgAl?

thanks.