• Please log in to reply
5342 replies to this topic

#5341 WSM

WSM

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 07:28 PM

guys, i purchased some potassium chlorate as part of a kit about 5 years ago, it came in a plastic bag in a brown box and was originally powder. i just opened it for the first time and it is hard as rock. any advice on how to break it up. even into smaller pieces that could then be ground into powder? best ways? is it now unusable?

If your oxidizer is caked hard, you can powder it through a sieve.

Place the sieve, screen side up, on a large sheet of paper*; then grate the clump of hardened oxidizer through the metal screen.

Take your time and it should all return to powder as you work it through the screen.

WSM B)

Edit: *Actually I use two sheets of paper for material handling and spill prevention. Also, my preference is to use stainless steel screen, which lasts longer and costs nearly the same as brass screen when purchased in bulk.

Edited by WSM, 03 June 2021 - 07:41 AM.

#5342 sefrez

sefrez

Playing with fire

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 10:23 PM

Quite coincidentally to this post I have been wondering recently if what I have been experiencing with my made KClO3 is similar to that of others. As champ739 mentions, I too find the chlorate to cake together strongly. It's a bit of a pain to get it through a screen. I actually find it easier to break up in a mortar. My KClO4 is pleasant to work with, not much caking at all.

As for the KClO3, the extent to which it is caking could strongly be in relation to me storing it a bit packed in a container. I'm not using a desiccant either (nor for the KClO4.) Should I be?

Particle fineness plays a big part in in how it cakes too, and I can qualitatively say on its fineness that it has been milled to the point where when rubbed between fingers it falls between fingerprints and individual particles can't be felt.

I wondered if impurity was an issue, so, assuming the main impurity to be KCl, I did a silver nitrate / chromate chloride titration. I determined on KCl impurity alone, it is at least 99.8 pure. So I'm thinking KCl isn't the issue. I use KCl water softener which is already supposedly 99.1% pure.

My KClO3 might be suffering these affects from being too pure.  :P Thoughts?

#5343 Arthur

Arthur

Firebreather

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 10:45 AM

Many chemicals will have an anticake additive on top of the main ingredient. Likely but not certain that this will be fumed silica.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users