5357 replies to this topic

#21 Mumbles

Mumbles

Grandmaster

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

Won't work. Stick to the known acceptable electrodes. Just trying random metals and materials probably won't do very much for you besides waste time and chemicals.
Just so you guys quit asking, here is the link to the old forum. http://www.xsorbit2....forum/index.cgi

The sky is my canvas, and I have 2,113 pounds of powdered paint in the workshop.

#22 gods knight

gods knight

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Quantum mechanics, literature, and all forms of math

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:11 AM

Oh I see, and Ive finished building my chlorate cell and its been running at full power for three days now.

Just a random question: has anyone tried the boiling method found here:

http://www.skepticfi.../new/003doc.htm

Oh and please ignore the word plastic explosives at the top. <_<
Genius ain't anything more than elegant common sense.

Josh Billings

#23 hashashan

hashashan

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

This will work, but it is a highly stupid method. You will get about 20 grams from a liter of bleach.... really really stupid dont you think?

#24 Pretty green flame

Pretty green flame

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:50 AM

This will work, but it is a highly stupid method. You will get about 20 grams from a liter of bleach.... really really stupid dont you think?

It's not stupid, just really inefficient.
Does this unit have a soul?

#25 aquaman

aquaman

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:I like... pyro, rc cars, real cars, games, computer, rockets, skateboarding, biking, camping, watching movies, scuba, paintball, airsoft, hiking, fishing....

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

Of course it's a stupid idea, its found in the Anarchist Cookbook. "Jolly Roger" and "Exodus" were the give aways. Just stay away from things that were written with those names.
I don't need sex, the college of engineering f@!ks me enough...

University of Illinois at Champaign Urbana
Chemical Engineering (soph)

#26 RUUUUUN

RUUUUUN

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing. the Chemistry of Hotel Echo......

Posted 21 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

I have created a chlorate cell and am creating NaClO3, which I will convert to KClO3.

I am using 2 lead electrodes the anode has a layer of PbO on it, and I am wondering if that will work. In all of my readings I have seen PbO2 used but never PbO.
  • DavidTF likes this
Remember kids, with Great chocolate, Comes Great responsibility- Larry Boy, big idea productions, Returning 2006

"something is wrong with you, really..........."

Making your own Potassium Nitrate -----> Hardcore pyro baby!

The Few, The Proud, The Pyros.

#27 asilentbob

asilentbob

Firebreather

• Donator - HE
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Professional pyrotechnics, chemistry (too many sub fields), DIY projects, Alternative Energy, Beer brewing, Gaming PCs, etc...

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:37 PM

Boiling the solution at the hypochlorite stage to convert it to chlorate... or boiling the solution if the cell has been running enough to make chlorate to convert any residual hypochlorite to chlorate before isolation... is common in any professional method. Its not stupid. Its smart.

Using bleach conversion instead of electrolysis because they don't have the knowledge to maintain a cell... is probably a good idea for them too... other wise there might be more Cl2 related kewl deaths.... Relatively speaking of course.

All that ACB bull is just people writing down stuff they heard from other people at keggers... criticize the intended use, lack of safety, "book", etc... don't criticize the chemistry behind it.
Take one pound of pure sulfur, two pounds of grapevine or willow charcoal, and six pounds of saltpeter... Marcus Graecus - Liber ignium ad comburendos hostes
(add to) The Pyrotechnic Workshop Reference - 2007 Federal Explosives Laws and Regs (PDF 100pgs)
EmergencyResponceGuidebook2008pdf - ALL MSDS PERIOD - NPG-NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards
Join the PGI - Join the Pyrotechnic Artists of Texas (PAT) - They need your support!
Join the American Chemical Society - Dues (really cheap for undergrads!) - 2011 Member get a member program

#28 flying fish

flying fish

Pyrotechnician

• Donator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:43 PM

I know the boiling/cooling method is from a questionable source, but...would it work if you only wanted a very small amount of KCLO3 (say, for crossette breakers)? Edit: I take the as a yes^^^

#29 hashashan

hashashan

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

I have created a chlorate cell and am creating NaClO3, which I will convert to KClO3.

I am using 2 lead electrodes the anode has a layer of PbO on it, and I am wondering if that will work. In all of my readings I have seen PbO2 used but never PbO.

IIRC PbO isn't even conductive. If your cell conducts that can mean only several things:
1) Your PbO isnt really PbO(is it yellow)?
2) Your PbO is just too flaky and it is just hanging there while the lead does all the work.

I have seen somewhere that it will be possible to make chlorate with lead anodes' however this method isnt very pleasent because after the process is over you will be left with quite a lot toxic mess. (Lead wont withstand the harsh conditions in the cell)

PS asilentbob i didnt mean that it is a stupid method overall, I also boil down my solutions after the electrolisys in order to kill all the hypochlorite and convert it to chlorate, however to go and buy a gallon of bleach, boil it down to 1/5 of its volume (I guess it will take about 2 hours and stink the whole neighbourhood) in order to get about 20-40 grams of chorate IS stupid.
  • loris94 likes this

#30 RUUUUUN

RUUUUUN

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

I spoke too soon, it was yellow but it turned black and started conducting much better after about thirty minutes.
Remember kids, with Great chocolate, Comes Great responsibility- Larry Boy, big idea productions, Returning 2006

#31 hashashan

hashashan

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:05 AM

probably oxidized to PbO2' however, the coating was probably just not consistant.

How is the electrolizing going? (as a matter of fact i dont believe it will lead to anything good)

#32 RUUUUUN

RUUUUUN

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

I am getting a white precipitate in the bottom of the cell, I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not....

Currently (pun intended) I am using 6V at 80amps, makes alot of beeg beeg bubbles when I use Al foil to make H2 gas, and alot of small bubbles in my chlorate cell.

#33 cplmac

cplmac

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Pyro
    Politics
    History

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

I'm getting nervous just reading this thread.
  • MikeL likes this

#34 SINYpyro

SINYpyro

Smelt the smoke

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

I'm getting excited just reading this thread. Perc won't be around for purchase much longer, and I sure as hell want to be able to make it if necessary. As dangerous or hard as it might be, it's definitely do-able.

#35 gods knight

gods knight

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:20 PM

has anyone ever bought guide from ebay ?

i want to know if its reliable enough or is it just a ripoff :rolleyes:
heirs a link to it:

http://search.ebay.c...rate&category0=

Josh Billings

#36 Pretty green flame

Pretty green flame

Firebreather

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

Why bother, people here on APC will help you at no cost ;)
Does this unit have a soul?

#37 gods knight

gods knight

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:08 PM

:D he he i guess your right , did you see how much chlorate is selling for ? a handy profit$$

Josh Billings

#38 rocket

rocket

Pyrotechnician

• HE Qualified
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:Hmmm thats a hard one!

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:15 AM

Iíve just set up a pretty simple chlorate cell, now what I want to know is whether both the cathode and anode are too bubble(I always thought it was just the anode).

Iím using graphite rods and a computer power supply, I changed what colour wire the + - was attached to till I found one where the anode bubbles the most but the cathode still bubble a bit.
Most people waste money, but I burn mine away.

#39 gods knight

gods knight

Pyromaniac

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:56 AM

Well, that is what is happening to my cell whenever i run it, so i think thats ok, it happened on a video of a guy making a chlorate cell on eBay.(trial video).

Josh Billings

#40 jacob

jacob

Pyrotechnician

• PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

It would seem this process is hard to do wrong,http://www.instructa...GXGY5PF23Z375E/ would this work at all, i want to do (sort of) the same thing but use tungsten electrodes, a car battery charger as the power source and potassium chloride as the starting point, any thing else i should know?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users