APC Forum

OTC Chems

ULTRABUF

Heres a nice new thread for OTC suppliers. I'll go first.

I found quite a few chems at a store called Tractor Supply. I believe they have stores all around the US, so look around for one. They have motors and a whole bunch of farm crap like medicine for animals. :) I didnt buy anything, but I wrote all the best stuff on my arm for you guys:

>Phosphoric Acid- a 70% solution which makes up about 50% of the product. 1 gallon for $8

>Dextrose- 50% solution, pretty sure its just dextrose and water

500 ml for $4

>Isopropyl Alcohol- standard 70%. 1 gallon for $9

>Potassium Permanganate- the bottle said it removes something, I dont remember what. I didnt see the purity, but it was 5 pounds for $20.

>Acetylsalicylic Acid- cow sized aspirin tablets! I'm pretty sure it said 15.6 grams per tablet. 50 tablets for $16.

>Propylene Glycol- I didnt see a purity on it, but it said something about serving at distillation range, so I assumed that its relatively pure. It was around a gallon for $20.

-----Here comes the stuff from the paint section, no purity except for the HCl----

>Muriatic acid- About 31%. 1 quart for $3. They had bigger sizes too, but I didnt look at them.

>Painters Naptha- I wrote this down in case it turned out to be pure napthalene. 1 gallon for $11

>Acetone- $13 for a gallon

>Pure gum spirits of turpentine- figured I'd throw this one in there.1 quart for $5.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

EDIT: I forgot one chem I saw. It was called copper sulfate pentahydrate. It was in solid form, sounded like a powder when I shook the container. It was 99% pure, and there was a lot of it. Either 5 or 20 pounds, I dont remember. Cant recall the price either, I'll look next time I go.

You can get ASA (aspirin) better ways. Pure powder, 1lb for 8$ is my current standard. The HCl can also be found much cheaper, I pay that much for a gallon, even less than that.

KMnO4 is found to remove iron soluables from water. I belive the stuff you are referring to is a product called 'Iron Out'.

I am interested in the H3PO4, though I have never aquired some from an OTC source. I belive it removes rust.

This: http://hyperdeath.co.uk/chemicals/index.html, is a great site. It has all sorts of OTCness, but it is missing some things. I am a fish, over at SMDB came up with it.

You can get ASA (aspirin) better ways. Pure powder, 1lb for 8$ is my current standard. The HCl can also be found much cheaper, I pay that much for a gallon, even less than that.

KMnO4 is found to remove iron soluables from water. I belive the stuff you are referring to is a product called 'Iron Out'.

I am interested in the H3PO4, though I have never aquired some from an OTC source. I belive it removes rust.

This: http://hyperdeath.co.uk/chemicals/index.html, is a great site. It has all sorts of OTCness, but it is missing some things. I am a fish, over at SMDB came up with it.

Phosphoric Acid is a descaler used to remove lime buildup from stainless steel, boilers, steam generators, industrial ultrasonic cleaners, and probably a lot of other things. I used to use it often in servicing sterilizers in hospitals also.

I'm intrigued with the possibility of finally getting OTC KMnO4, though that may be much more than i need. Then again im not so sure they would sell to me, but my dad...

Home depot:

Flake Al roof flashing, MEK, acetone, xylene, H3PO4, impure H2SO4, 31.45% HCl, Ca(ClO)2, Na2CO3, cyanuric acid, sulfamic acid, denatured alcohol, O2, propane, MAPP, butane, 90% sulfur, 10% vinagar, CuSO4.5H2O, KNO3, kerosene, some corks... about all i can remember...

Frys electronics, atleast the one i live near has a few beakers 400, 1000, and 2000ml i think. Ammonium persulfate, ferric chloride, ... all i can recall...

Ceramic store... ceramic chemicals... home brew store... flasks (2L!), thermometers, specific gravity meters (forgot name), pH paper/meters, carboys, rubber stoppers, N2O (very small and approaching paintball CO2 tank size), some brew chemicals i forgot... Bismuth at fishing stores as lead sinker replacement along with dilute H2SO4 for boat batterys...

Grocery store... 91% isopropyl alcohol, 3% H2O2, NaClO (bleach), dilute ~5% ammonia, glycerin, aspirin, etc...

Yes ceramic stores are great for pure pyro materials, carbonates, bentonite, grog, gum arabic, can all be found at decent ceramic/pottery supply stores.

Also, hydroponic stores have many useful chemcials and equipment, including concentrated H2O2.

H2SO4

This can be found in hydroponics stores and in paint stores it's sold as acid hardener at 98%. It can also be found as drain cleaner but it's gut impurities and dyes in it. I get mine from a chem supplier cheap.

HNO3

This can be found in hydroponics stores sold as a PH changer. Also can be found at chem suppliers mostly available will be 70%.

H2O2

This can be found at swimming pool suppliers and at hydroponics stores as high as 30%. Chem suppliers sell 35% food grade i've never found a source for 50% but distillation under reduced pressure will yeild 50%. H-O-O-H can also be found in concs of 3%, 7% and 9% at most health shops and it's also used to clean contact lenses.

Acetone

Hardware stores carry this and also any paint supply house will have this. It's also the main chem in nail varnish remover but it's shit. Most acetone is 99% adding dam rid or another dessicant to your acetone and syphoning off the top layer of acetone will give 100%.

Methanol

I get mine 99% from paint supply house and it's also available from model shops at 99% if you tell them you'r interested in mixing you'r own fuel. it's also available in wind screen wash just distill it out.

Nitromethane

This is available from model shops mostly in a nitromethane/methanol/castor oil mix you can distill out each fraction to get both methanol and nitromethane. If you ask the person at the desk they will point you to some 99% NM for mixing you'r own fuels.

Glycerine

This can be found in any chemist or helath shop. It's also available at 35% food grade if you look in the right places.

HCL

This can be found at any pool supplier or at hardware stores.

GAA from Acetic acid (vinegar)

Acetic acid is available as vinegar but it's only arround 5%-8%. Neuteralise the vinegar with a load of bicarb and add conc H2SO4 distill off the glacial acetic acid.

KNO3

This is sold in hydroponics stores and some garden centers carry it.

NH4NO3

Garden centers have this it's also available from some instant ice packs.

Aluminium

Alluminium foil or it can be extracted from silver spray paint. Also available if you ask at a machine shop for their fileings this is how i get mine free of course ball mill or redox it to powder. :) Also at some scrap yards they get lost of fileings dig to the bottom of the pile for the smaller pieces they're easier to mill.

DCM

This can be found as a stripper in paint stores.

Sodium chlorate

Weed killer. Most weed killers are only 50% and the other 50% is a retardent. If you look closely you'll notice there is two different crystal sizes one is the retardent and one is you chlorate use a sive to separate.

(More to be added later i've found allsorts of wonderfull chems OTC. I've got to go get some sodium chlorate for my TACC synth my self)