APC Forum

5 shot 2in Comet fan

qwezxc12

Comets were illustrated in this thread: Comet post

Construction was the same as previous 2in comets: they weigh ~50g ea. Lift was 10g of my -16mesh lift in a 1/2oz. condiment cup lit with fast Chinese paper fuse in a rolled paper tube acting as quickmatch. The series of five quickmatch leaders were fused with fast fuse approximating 1/4 sec. between shots. They were shot from the mortar rack in this thread: Fan Rack

Prefire pic (they are the ones with the number "18" written on top):

http://www.apcforum.net/files/5x2inSilverWaveComet-prefire.jpg

Frame grab from the video:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/5x2inSilverWaveComet.jpg

Video

The comets are a little too slow burning to make this size. I think 35-40g comets would burn out before hitting the ground.

Very awesome, sad that the fell to the ground but still, a very cool effect.

I like how you turned night into day, man those were bright. :lol:  what were those bangs?

Some of the comets developed cracks in the silver wave portion while drying - I'm guessing as the composition is basically consolidated flash with mixed grades of Al, what happened was a "comet cato" as they burned.

• 8 months later...

I don't really know were to post this... hope I don't get banned.

Here is a little 18mm cake insert i made. I'm going to make a big cake out of these, but first i wanted to test one.

It's some damp D1 glitter comp pressed in a cardboard tube, after that dried a bentonite clay plug is pressed on top, a 2.5mm hole is drilled and than the flash and Ti turnings are added. Sealed with a cardboard plug and some hot glue.

I think these wil turn out very nice in a 10 shot cake :) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQaeCGNT_4

Bye, yellowcard

Posting that here is fine, as long as you understand it's now entered in the Competition. ;)

(What Competition, I hear you ask?)

They WILL be held someday, I promise!! :D

Until very recently, apc was run by just one person doing all of the Admin-level work, AND attending College fulltime, so this had to take a place WAAAY backstage.

(Moderators couldn't help with those tasks, though I'm sure any of us would have been willing to. I offered my help, and it was accepted. My beoming an Admin was a necessary step and I plan to repay the trust shown me, in spades. :D )

With some some time, luck, and a lot of plain old WORK, you're going to see some interesting new things here. I'm working towards that end, under Mumbles guidance and vision for the Board's future.

For now, though EVERYONE is welcome and encouraged to make entries anywhere in this Section. They're both valuable and entertaining.

From what I've seen here already, even my best 3 and 4-inch shells have a looooooong way to go. ;)

M

• 2 weeks later...
Comets were illustrated in this thread: Comet post

Construction was the same as previous 2in comets: they weigh ~50g ea. Lift was 10g of my -16mesh lift in a 1/2oz. condiment cup lit with fast Chinese paper fuse in a rolled paper tube acting as quickmatch. The series of five quickmatch leaders were fused with fast fuse approximating 1/4 sec. between shots. They were shot from the mortar rack in this thread: Fan Rack

Prefire pic (they are the ones with the number "18" written on top):

[iM G]http://www.apcforum.net/files/5x2inSilverWaveComet-prefire.jpg[/img]

Frame grab from the video:

[iM G]http://www.apcforum.net/files/5x2inSilverWaveComet.jpg[/img]

Video

The comets are a little too slow burning to make this size. I think 35-40g comets would burn out before hitting the ground.

OMG

thoes were amazing. very bright, and i love the flight of five. what fusing did you use, more specificly what was the speed of the visco? looked like either fast yellow or the new fast gray from pyrocreations.

I don't really know were to post this... hope I don't get banned.

Here is a little 18mm cake insert i made. I'm going to make a big cake out of these, but first i wanted to test one.

It's some damp D1 glitter comp pressed in a cardboard tube, after that dried a bentonite clay plug is pressed on top, a 2.5mm hole is drilled and than the flash and Ti turnings are added. Sealed with a cardboard plug and some hot glue.

I think these wil turn out very nice in a 10 shot cake  :) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQaeCGNT_4

Bye, yellowcard

very nice effect. i like that glitter tail. the boomer at the end is the perfect topper to it. it's a sweet transition with the gentle glitter then WHAM.

that will look real cool in a fan cake.

best of luck and i look forward to seeing the vid of the finished product.

just my opinion here take it or leave it...but it'd be cool to send a fan up so that the last one in each row is airborne for at least a second before the salute starts going off.

then a slight pause between rows.

then the next volley going in the other direction with the same pacing.

IMO that would be a very cool way to showcase this effect, it'd show off all the glitter and all the salutes without them stepping on each other.

would probably look cooler than unison volleys or straight cakes one at a time.

without the pause in between the rows they would be stepping all over each other in a zipper.

OMG

thoes were amazing. very bright, and i love the flight of five. what fusing did you use, more specificly what was the speed of the visco? looked like either fast yellow or the new fast gray from pyrocreations.

It's the fast paper fuse...the details were in the first post. I didn't buy it from Pyrocreations, though. I grabbed a pile at Skylighter (P/N GN1205) when they were giving away free fuse...they've stocked it for a while. It's a better deal there anyway: $12.34/100ft vs. $15.00.

The mortar rack needs about 20" to fuse all five tubes when it's arrayed in a fan, so it times out perfect for comet barrage.

BTW, it's what I use in my QM pipes...the stuff practically explodes when lit. I also harvest the individual strands from the fuse for cross-matching...so I get primo BM that absolutely won't flake when bent and takes fire from a dirty look for the whopping sum of $.04/ft. per strand. It's not worth the bother to make the stuff at that price.