APC Forum

Ball mill

aquaman

Is this rock tumbler (ball mill) any good?:rock tumbler

It has been suggested in the old forum, but it is really cheap, $30 and I have also seen some people not having good luck for pyro uses (too slow?).

1) How efficient Is it?

2) Is it good for making BP?

Thanks

Ok I don't have what you say is a conventional ball mill I have what you call a tread mill. If you have one use it for ball milling all the variable speeds you should be able to find one for each container you use.

Yes, that will work. However it is not efficient. It takes at least 2-3x as long as a properly configured mill. It still however only takes 8-12 hours per batch. You can fit about 200-250g per jar. I feel the mill produces acceptable BP. The time and charge is annoying as you get more advanced into pyro and you need more BP. However for someone just starting out, I feel it makes a fine initial ball mill.

My old mill that I made just broke recently and I don't want to fix it.

Mumbles-

At 200g a jar I can deal with that. So I can fit about a pound of BP for both jars :huh: ... doesn't really matter anything is better than my homemade mill.

Star_Roller-

I don't have a "Tred Mill" but that's a good idea.

Edit: 1 more question: Can both jars be full (3lb.) and running at the same time which is actually 6lbs?

Yes they could, that is how they are designed to be ran. In reality, I think you will probably have a little more than 3lbs in each jar if they are properly charged with lead. I think mine weigh in about 4.5lbs including the barrel, but I'd have to check. The poundages are meant for rock tumbling. 3lbs of rock plus grit and polish and water or whatever else you add. They are designed to run more than 6lbs total.

Thanks I think all my questions have been answered and I'll buy it later tonight!

Just a thought: What's the average life span of rock tumbler like the one I've stated? 2 years? Does it do as good of a job a year from now?

Is there any other rock tumblers/ball mills that I don't know of that's in the 30-40 dollar (US) range that is better than the one I'm looking at?

You will probably have trouble finding another one that cheap. I've had my current one for at least 3 or 4 years I would say. They will last a while, but the belts break all the time. I suggest looking on ebay, they sell stronger replacement belts. I currently use rubber bands, but those things break all the time.

When I bought it I thought the belts would break (never liked belts) so I bought an extra two spare belt packages. Should get it in a week or so.

Don't run these ball mills in the cold. The belt will snap overnight if you do.

I know this sounds crazy but go to a garage sale and look for tread mills nothing ever goes wrong with them except they have a timer that they automatically turn off but that after 2-3 hours (well mine does)

You can prolly get one for 50 bucks then just make your own containers.

The only problem for using a tredmill for me is that the only place to run it is in my house/garage or in my backyard and the house is out of the question. But carrying the tredmill in and out of my garage to use it would not be that great because aren't they a little heavy?

I saw that exact tumbler last week at the Harbor Freight outlet near me. Looked pretty flimsy, but it should last a year or so. But if you get serious about pyro, you'll need a bigger one long before you wear that one out. I use a 12lb Lortone tumbler that lets me make a kilo of meal (or rocket propellant, etc) at a time. It'll fill my needs for several years.

M

My new ballmill is a converted treadmill. It takes a bit of effort, but you can convert them to be small enough to be convenient. The great thing about using a treadmill is you don't have to worry about weight. Its all about how many barrels you can squeeze onto the rollers. I am up to four, which means if I had the jars,media,and chems, I could turn out about 4 kilo's of BP in one sitting.

Hi there,

im have just ordered my first tumbler, and i can easily fill the tumbler a third full with milling media, butis there a lower end to the amount you can mill at once? My parents dont want me milling more than about 20g of gunpowder at once, will this still work?

Thanks for any help

The optimum milling situation is when the jar is 1/2 full of media and a 1/4 full of powder. However you'll get the same or even a bit better quality powder if you put less in. 1/4 full is only optimum because its the perfect balance between milling time and quality. The quality is much more dependent on the amount of milling media.

I have my own question can anyone think of a good milling media for a huge 25L container?

The best idea I've got so far is wood.

thanks for that, the ball mill came today i was so excited i loaded it up about a quarter full will balls and with 20g of powder, I can hear it know :lol: Could you fill sections of copper pipe with lead? It might react with some compunds though....

Hey guys, i have more or less finished my ball mill today, some things are missing but they are on the way.

Anyway it's a triple jar ball mill, each jar is about 1.3liters in volume so at full capacity it should churn out 600-700grams of high quality BP in a couple of hours.

The motor was salvaged from a lathe and it has 400W power which is more than enough to rotate the three jars at 100RPM

The rollers are 8mm stainless stell and are supported so the weight of the jars doesnt bend them, they are covered with shrink hose for better grip.

And some pics

Ball mill

some more ball mill

The motor

Copper will be alright as long as you keep it away from ammonium compounds. I would also keep it away from chlorates. One of our former Mods used copper. For my new mill, I plan to use solid brass rod, or hex. It is only slightly less dense than lead.

Hey guys, i have more or less finished my ball mill today, some things are missing but they are on the way.

Nice looking ball mill!

Where did you get those containers from?

I would rather not use a 25L one...

I have one of these, the belt has broken after every 3 uses, like clockwork. I put no strain on it, or anything, it just snapped. Other than that, it does work pretty well, but you might be better off building your own (my friend did it, said it was easy).

For tumbling media, I use Brass rod, 3/4" diameter, cut into 3/4" lengths, about 25-30 pieces per tub. I won't use any form of steel, and lead is too toxic for my tastes. For the mill talked about by the original poster, I'd use no more than 3/8" diameter, 3/8" long rod stock, for the tumbling media.

I'm using a Lortone tumbler, the dual 6lb model. I put about a half-kilo of greenmix (using hardwood airfloat) in each tub and mill for 24 hrs. That's my lift powder, and my base for pulverone. When I get a supply of good hot softwood charcoal, I'll be using it to make my burst powder. Right now I use commercial (Goex) 4Fg.

Lots of ways to get your powder mixed and milled. As long as the end result is good, it doesn't matter how long it takes.

BTW, I saw that mill again today at Harbor Freight. It might hold up a while, but the amount of powder you are going to be able to make at one time will be very small. Maybe a half-pound or so, using both tubs? If this is enough capacity, you're in business.

M

Well I guess the jig is up, I've never used properly milled BP. :ph34r: Right now I'm on a steady diet of greenmix, coffe grinder BP, and a lil bit of benzolift.

I think I'll go ahead and get that tumbler as a harbor freit outlet is only 2 miles from here, and I have the cash. I have a mill made, just needing a GD motor!

Well, if you have the mill made except for the motor, why not take the cash you have and buy a motor instead? You can get a great electric motor for no more than the little mill costs. A cheap automotive belt and you're set.

M

I just got my ball mill and it looks nice. I haven't tried it yet because it's been a little cold and I going to take Justanotherpyro's advice and wait until it's a little warmer. I didn't get the extra belts because apparently they didn't have them in stock so I think I'll try to roder them a little later.