APC Forum

Caesium

pudidotdk

Ceasium is a quite beautiful golden alkali metal, the most reactive one besides Francium.

Now I wonder if someone had something for sale like a crazy amount of 1000 grams (!) or more of this Caesium in an ampule, what would you give for such GIGANTIC amount of REALLY rare elemental? Of course some sort of Hazmat should be used to transport it.

I'm very curious about it!

As in you are selling it, or have a supplier willing to sell you it? That'd be a nice sample, I couldn't bring myself to drop even a tiny piece in water.(and it'd be sealed and an ampoule that can't be resealed. <_< )

• 4 weeks later...

Well, nearly as soon as you opened the sample in regular air it would ignite and you would be screwed trying to stop it from exploding. I would take a smaller amount of cesium, but someone would have to pay ME to keep a kilogram of it in one relatively breakable container.

In the lab I work in they have a big jar of Cs2CO3 next to a jar of Li. Mix the two and heat the crap out of under argon, distill off the Cs in 60% yeild. Yum.

Really though, if you can get a decent amount of cesium carbonate and can fabricate a reliable metal still, Li metal is fairly easy to come by in comparison. It would be interesting if nothing else.

Here's a short clip on
about caesium and it being dropped in a bathtub.

I hate that video!!!

Here's the full brainiac version

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eCk0lYB_8c0&mode=related&search=

Warning: If you believe this video you will be brainwashed

They really used explosives that were detonated so it looks like the cesium reacted that way. That is not the case. Brainiac even confessed they faked it.

Here's 1,5 grams of cesium in water (real, I know the person very well):

This article says that the brainiac show was faked. Never knew that. Anyways, thanks for telling me that. You learn something every day.

yeah....thedore gray talked about it. got pretty pissed off to. i guess it kinda "poofed" and they wanted an explosion most people who watch brainiac are those kewl kids at school asking you how to make ANFO and flash. hell brainiac and other TV shows censor chemicals used to make this and that that they make so kewls dont replicate it and loose a finger or five.

I was going to build a cell to electrolyse CsCl, but then I decided the cell would cost me tons of money + If I failed, CsCl is expensive as hell too.. If I had shitloads of cash, I would do it.

If you can make a down cell to make sodium from the MUCH less expensive NaCl, it should work for CsCl too with a higher voltage or whatever. An easy and cheap test.