APC Forum

The venting room

Pretty green flame

Oh god damnit....went to bed at around 11 pm last night, fell asleep instantly, 1 hour later titanium salutes start going off, lots of titanium salutes. What I didn't know was that a concert in the centre of our town was supposed to end with a fireworks display.

It sounded like the eastern front during WW2 so you know it had to be good....I am so tottally pissed right now....

There are so few display where I live so I really want to see every one of them, but nooooooo....it's like the displays just start for no god damn reason....bang bang bang and it's over.... and all the good ones are like that. The one for NYE, where we know there's gonna be one, is total shit! And usually we don't see it anyway because of the fog and smoke from my display :whistle: , but still, you can hear the difference between a good display and a shitty display.

Our club did a small show last Saturday that was less then a mile from my house. Sorry you don't get to play with pyro more often, we have to turn down the club several times each summer since we shoot almost every weekend and on three weekends, we have three or more shows booked for the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
Given that Grand Haven is 10 minutes south of me, you'd think I'd be able to find a used Dake for virtually nothing. But nooooooooooooo. Had a line on a 1 1/2, but it got snagged. Dammit!

• 3 months later...
Will you a$$holes in Wisconsin and Minnesota stop telling these fronts that the "snow rest stop" is on the other side of the lake? Maybe you could point towards Bonny next time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Will you a$$holes in Wisconsin and Minnesota stop telling these fronts that the "snow rest stop" is on the other side of the lake? Maybe you could point towards Bonny next time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

We got enough up here already. Send it west.

Edited by Bonny

Will you a$holes in Wisconsin and Minnesota stop telling these fronts that the "snow rest stop" is on the other side of the lake? Maybe you could point towards Bonny next time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

OH CRAP!!! Sorry man, just sent you another foot of the white stuff last night. (tee-hee)

*Officially* they are calling that "Lake Effect Snow" so its really not from us. I would tell you to move to another state but as of Wednesday night, the news was that 49 states had snow on the ground with Florida being the only one that didn't have any snow actually on the ground.

Hey, we have quite enough snow to last for the rest of the year, so we're sending it East. Sorry about that. :whistle:

• 3 years later...

Let me begin this post first stating that due to poor decision making on my part, I have taken a dramatic paycut to which I am still adjusting. As a result I am perpetually broke and don't have much too offer in the way of money. With that being said, I WANT to help a fellow APC member who was injured fairly recently in a pyrotechnic accident. Many of you know the story I am sure.

In light of my financial situation, the best I could muster was to organize a fundraiser to help said member with their medical bills. I posted the link here on APC with high hopes of at least collecting enough to help ease the burden. Granted, the fundraiser has ony been going on for a week, and still has 84 days left, sadly I have collected no contributions at this point.

I do not post this as a demand for donations, but as a cry for help. This member has proven himself to be a valuable asset to the forum, both in terms of knowledge, and personality. He has never asked for help, but I understand his plight. And I would be remiss not to drop to my knees and literally beg for the assistance of anyone who could afford to help.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and if you can help him in any way, I would consider it a personal favor. The fundraiser link is https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/q7k4/fundraiser-for-david-gustafson. All contributions are immensely appreciated.

• Like 1

Thank you Hindsight and CaliforniaPyro for your lavish donations. Your kind acts have not gone unnoticed.

• 2 months later...

My PF subscription just ran out and I'm still pondering whether to renew...

Leaning more and more towards not, at least until there are a load of new articles to browse...

Alot of bad attitudes on there - here is a much nicer place to hang : )

Getting off topic, but would it be feasable to recreate a passfire-esque formula calculator with relative ease to use here?

I'm sure it'd be possible to make a calculator, but I honestly don't know PHP at all, which is probably what would be required to make it. I just use Excel to calculate all the weird masses.

Mumbles,

If all you need is a calculator, that can be done fairly quickly and easily in JavaScript.

The posts I've quoted above are from a few years ago, so maybe this is no longer important to anyone here. But if you think it would still be a neat feature to add, please feel free to send me a PM, and we can discuss design issues, etc.

I've done much more complicated equations in JavaScript than a simple proportion-adjuster. I once wrote a JavaScript web page that calculated all the transmission-line variables given load voltage, conductor type, number of conductors per phase, configuration, and distance. All of those calculations use complex variables, which don't exist in JavaScript; so I had to write an object package for complex variables.

I still have my Transmission Lines page stored on my drive, if you'd like to take a look at it. It's kind of boring for anyone who isn't an electrical engineer -- but I admit I'm still proud of it.

Anyway, my point is that a basic proportion calculator is not challenging to write. I can set it up with as many chemical-ingredient fields as you like (well, a dozen or so, anyway), and all the user would need to do is enter the original recipe values, and specify the desired value for just one of those ingredients. Then they could push a "Go" button, and the calculator would show the proportionally-adjusted amounts of all the other ingredients. The page would store all the original values, too, so if the user wanted to try changing a different ingredient value, the ingredients could be quickly re-calculated.

-- Paravani

Edited by Paravani

Formulas, just like recipes, cannot be copyrighted. They can however be limited in their access and given out in confidence as a way to keep them a secret. I am willing to share just about every formula I use. As I just mentioned, there are a few that have been given to me in confidence which I cannot share, but I am easily able to point in the direction of perfectly suitable alternatives. The only thing that kind of irks me is when credit is not given with the formula. I think this is disrespectful to the originator, and takes away some of the traceability in case of transcription error.

On the Passfire database... legally, the data within the database does not necessarily belong to Passfire. It originates with people like Shimizu, Veline, Lancaster, etc, formulas that have been published in a number of books and in periodicals over the years. Simply because they have it in a searchable database does not somehow make it their intellectual property. Hopefully one day APC will have a similar formula database.

In the meantime, there's no reason we cannot contribute formulas to a list of our own. I've seen thread or two here and there where certain persons were going ape-s**t because a "passfire formula" like a shimizu chrysanthemum was copied verbatim from passfire and posted here or on another site. Pot, kettle, etc.

Building a formula database on APC is certainly do-able, as well, though I'd prefer not to be the one who entered all the recipes into the database once it is set up and ready to go.

Ideally, members could all be responsible for entering formulas into the database; likewise, members could review formulas entered by others, and rate them on a five-star or ten-star basis. The search criteria could include ratings, so that members looking for a recipe for "green stars" will see the highest-rated formulas first, and the cr*ppy formulas will be further down the list.

For a database like that to work well, it will probably need to be purged periodically of all the low-rated entries. It will also need a mechanism to double-check that formulas aren't being repeated under different user-names...

Anyway, it would be an interesting project to which we could all contribute, I think.

Anyone else have thoughts about it?

-- Paravani

P.S. If this thread doesn't have more than one or two replies within the next couple of days, I'll re-post the topic elsewhere on the boards.

Edited by Paravani

I like the idea.

One idea is that low rated entries could be quarantined instead of being deleted so as to preserve the information.

I think it would be best if this calculator was appended to the formulary database, if that is at all possible.

• Like 1

Not sure how feasible it would be, however, links to vids of shells and/or star gun tests might be helpful.

• Like 1

Can't type now, kitten asleep in lap, will reply later after she's been passed on to someone else.

That's a really cool idea Bobosan. Have a formula database and people can submit star tests of that formula and add their own notes on it. Sort of like a wiki format where users can input.

• Like 1

Hey, LOOK! ^^^^^^

There it is! Under the MORE tab! A formulary database!!! And it even has a field for images!

;-D

It also has a "Custom" view drop-down menu to sort formulas according to MemberID, Submission Date, Rating, Number of Views, etc.

And the first formula entered was "Black Powder --Submitted Mumbles, Mar 16 2010 10:28 AM | Last updated Dec 25 2010 10:05 PM"

As for a calculations page -- easy-peasy to do overnight in JavaScript, no problem. Not so easy-peasy to add to the Formulary Database, but certainly possible. There are some changes that need to be made to the database first...

So, researching further, it looks like APC uses a standard Discussion-Board interface provided by a third party, "IP.Board" -- which probably means that APC would need to pay for any enhanced functionality. That sucks, if true; because the programmers at IP.Board don't seem to understand the requirements of a Formulary database.

I'd be happy to volunteer my work to add functionality to the Formulary, if it is possible; but "IP.Board" would have to allow it to happen.

In the meantime, I guess I'll get to work on a JavaScript page to re-calculate formula proportions, and link to it from my profile when it's done.

-- Paravani

Edited by Paravani