APC Forum

A cartoonishly absurd electrical ignition system

ThrownBiscuit

I converted a junked Allen-Bradley control panel and some 800E switches into an electrical ignition system with extremely little effort. The switches are rated for .55 amps at 125VDC so I shouldn't have to worry about the meager yield of 3 AA batteries in series. Changed out a few contact blocks, and rerouted some of the circuitry and it is ready to go. Select which circuit(s) you want to fire with the selector switches, arm the system by pulling up on the orange mushroom-head button, and fire by depressing the red mushroom-head button.

There is something cathartic about hitting a big red button for launch.😁

The downsides are it is relatively heavy, and you need a lot of wire for firing just 13 circuits. At least the wire is reusable.

20240101_000054A (2).jpg

20240101_000119A.jpg

20240101_000300A.jpg

I dunno. I kinda like it. :) Power seems at the low end. Maybe a sealed 12 battery? Couple amp-hours would go all night I’d think and rechargable.

I could certainly use a 12V battery; it has the capacity; I was just using the 3 AAs as the electrical igniters I use really don't take much to set off. A single AA will set off one quite reliably.

I could also use an inverter and run an extension cord for maximum weight.

Hmm, I think I will get one of the cheap 12V rechargeable batteries off amazon and use one of the inverters I already have to rig up a plug-in charger for it.

Dangit, Richtee you talked me into it. 😆

Part of electric firing is being a way away from the actual fireworks. SO I'd be looking at 12 or 24v to account for volts drop in cables.

In the past I've never had trouble with 500 ft. runs with the 3 AAs, but to be fair I do have rather a lot of 14-gauge wire and that certainly helps with the voltage loss. The inverter that I already have is for 12VDC and seems amusing anyway, so just waiting on the battery to come in.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, ThrownBiscuit said:

Dangit, Richtee you talked me into it. 😆

Not so much as you recognized the "amusing-ness” of it all... hehehehe...and well, efficiency. You could prolly run Cat6 (24Ga) for the firing circuits with 12V if a single AA will fire your igniters.

Edited by Richtee