APC Forum

Sulfur

All10Fingers

I'm getting ready to start a new batch of BP. I have 3 different sulfur from 3 different sources. One is just called sulfur from alpha chems, one is labeled "dusting sulfur, and the third is a much brighter yellow and it came from a animal feed manufacturer. Are their any major differences that could be relevant? Any experience or suggestions on which is better and why? 

Posted (edited)

I have two sources too

One is Pyro grade having purity 99.8% and another is available at agricultural store having purity 98%.

I have tried both and both works extremely fine for me.

If you know how pure your sulphur is you can use it without a problem.

Edited by Zumber

Good to know. One is laboratory grade so it's probably pure. One is food grade so it's probably pure as well. The dusting sulfur is agriculture grade, but I know that one is 97% so they all should be fine to use. Thanks Z. 

You may try all of these by testing it in small batches to see difference.

Dusting sulfur is generally considered "wettable".  Sulfur itself is quite hydrophobic.  Dusting or wettable sulfur often has a small portion of an additive to make it more easily suspended in water and is thought to enhance absorption into soil.  There's several things that can be used, but some of the more common ones are bentonite clay, minerals, proteins, soaps, or some forms of polysacharides.  The amount can vary between about 2-20%, which probably is dependent on what wetting agent is added.

I think any of the varieties you have should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...