APC Forum

Life charge for my fw shell

Dragon99

Hello pyros, I have firework shell with 21.6g and the question is what grams of lift charge do i need to use for my firework shell.

(Lift charge = KClO3 + C + S)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dragon99 said:

Hello pyros, I have firework shell with 21.6g and the question is what grams of lift charge do i need to use for my firework shell.

Kclo3+c+s? It's urs lift charge 🤔🤔🤔. Basic lift charge is kno3+c+s.

Edited by sachinagg

I assume BP lift..... then 1/10 - 1/12 of the weight is a good aim. Does the whole shell weigh 22g?? If that's the case about 2g of hot BP should do it.

H3 is a powder with chlorate and charcoal, BP uses charcoal nitrate and sulphur.

There is NO use for a chlorate/sulphur mix, it's too dangerous.

9 hours ago, Dragon99 said:

Assume BP lift, 1/7 to 1/10 also is good , shell only 22 gm . 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dragon99 said:

First stay away from what you have written and secondly switch to Black powder lift charge, as a rule of thumb 1/10 weight of shell is useful but there is no such a rule,you have to consider other factors though like how hot is your lift, type of shell ( cylindrical or round) grain size of lift and clearance between mortor tube and shell.

You have to expeeriment with few of your shell by firing it and then adjust lift accordingly with results.

Again Stay away from Chlorate.

Edited by Zumber

Lift charge i bought it online and my bp is very slow.

1 minute ago, Dragon99 said:

Lift charge i bought it online and my bp is very slow.

Is it milled or just green mix?

4 minutes ago, Zumber said:

Is it milled or just green mix?

It's not mill but what is green mix?

Green mixture is just screen mixture of bp.

Any way for lifting shells you need hot milled bp.

2 minutes ago, Zumber said:

Green mixture is just screen mixture of bp.

Any way for lifting shells you need hot milled bp.

Okay, Anyways thank you for the advice.

Welcome.

Posted (edited)

You should really work on making decent black powder. This is one of the most basic things to the hobby of making fireworks. I built my first ball mill from some scrap lumber, an old 12 volt electric motor bought from an online surplus store, some roller casters and a piece of 4" pvc pipe with end fittings. The whole thing cost me less than $20 and though I was limited to 125 gram batches, it produced great black powder. Now for lift charge, as everyone has already stated, around 10% of the weight of your shell is a good starting place. I would make some "dummy" shells that weigh pretty close to your actual shells and do some test launches starting at that 10% and adjust up or down until you get the flight time you desire. I agree 100% with Zumber, don't use any chlorate comps for lift! I would also stay clear of any chlorate comps with sulfur in them.

Edited by MadMat
  • Like 1

'Making ball mill' lots of video on YouTube. Which one you like or suits you make it. 

• Like 1