APC Forum

Sticky phenolic resin

Manolo11

I try to roll a magnesium composition (so I can't use water) that contains about 8% phenolic resin and PVB.
I use methanol to wet the composition.
When I use 1.5% PVB the composition does not roll and when I use 3% PVB the composition sticks to the walls of the star roller.
Can somebody help me?

Hmmm..what about dusting the roller barrel with pulverone/fine BP? Be a prime and maybe help with the sticking... like flouring the bowl to mix a dough?

Edited by Richtee

Also, perhaps the comp is “melting” your roller barrel? Seems like an aggressive solvent ya got going. Or...maybe just 2% PVB ;)

I have never tried to roll stars with phenolic resin in them. Every time I've used phenolic resin I have either cut or pumped the stars. To be honest, even though I built a small roller, I rarely use it. About the only time I use it is to make color changing stars.

12 hours ago, Richtee said:

Hmmm..what about dusting the roller barrel with pulverone/fine BP? Be a prime and maybe help with the sticking... like flouring the bowl to mix a dough?

I can't do that because it ruins the color.

4 hours ago, MadMat said:

I have never tried to roll stars with phenolic resin in them. Every time I've used phenolic resin I have either cut or pumped the stars. To be honest, even though I built a small roller, I rarely use it. About the only time I use it is to make color changing stars.

12 hours ago, Richtee said:

Also, perhaps the comp is “melting” your roller barrel? Seems like an aggressive solvent ya got going. Or...maybe just 2% PVB ;)

My barrel is of stainless steel, I'll try 2%