APC Forum

Mini Hiroshima Cinematic Effect

TXpyro

Just out of curiosity, I've been trying to find out the temperature of Hiroshima after the strike. Given that it was a nuclear reaction, I'm assuming that it got extremely hot. I'm trying to make a firework that has a similar, yet smaller effect without the use of HE or FP. I'd also like it to be quiet. I've recently gotten into filming and I think this could be a good visual effect to try and recreate. 

Sounds fun...I'd like to recreate that as well.  I hope you get some helpful response soon.  Sorry mine is not helpful, but it is supportive :-)

If you are going for cinematic appearances, have you considered a gas mine? They do the mushroom shaped fireball nicely. Gas mines do not get nearly to the temperature of a fission reaction, but you do still need to careful about accidently setting the surrounding area on fire.

You get a somewhat larger metal cylinder that is closed on one end. (Like say a 4" diameter steel pipe about 6" tall with a large baseplate welded on one end.) Make up a small lift charge about 1/2 oz of 2Fg BP with a light dusting of titanium. (Just a bit of 325 mesh titanium helps ensure the gasoline ignites.) Wrap the electrically fused lift charge in about 3 layers of super 33 electrical tape. (This helps protect the lift charge from the gasoline and water) Fasten the lift charge to the bottom of the interior of the cylinder. (A lot of people weld a small hook in place for this purpose) Barely cover the lift charge with water. Fill the remainder of the cylinder with gasoline. Get well back and trigger the fireball.

Fire extinguisher is mandatory to have on hand. Gasoline fire will be spread by water, so use CO2 or chemical fire extinguishers only.

On 4/16/2024 at 9:27 PM, ThrownBiscuit said:

If you are going for cinematic appearances, have you considered a gas mine? They do the mushroom shaped fireball nicely. Gas mines do not get nearly to the temperature of a fission reaction, but you do still need to careful about accidently setting the surrounding area on fire.

You get a somewhat larger metal cylinder that is closed on one end. (Like say a 4" diameter steel pipe about 6" tall with a large baseplate welded on one end.) Make up a small lift charge about 1/2 oz of 2Fg BP with a light dusting of titanium. (Just a bit of 325 mesh titanium helps ensure the gasoline ignites.) Wrap the electrically fused lift charge in about 3 layers of super 33 electrical tape. (This helps protect the lift charge from the gasoline and water) Fasten the lift charge to the bottom of the interior of the cylinder. (A lot of people weld a small hook in place for this purpose) Barely cover the lift charge with water. Fill the remainder of the cylinder with gasoline. Get well back and trigger the fireball.

Fire extinguisher is mandatory to have on hand. Gasoline fire will be spread by water, so use CO2 or chemical fire extinguishers only.

Is there a way I could ignite the gas mine charge with a fuse? I don't currently have e-matches. Also, what would be a good thickness for the steel pipe and baseplate? I do have a welding machine but it's light duty. It's the harbor freight easy-flux 125. Do you think I could use this to make it?

Good luck reaching 100 million degrees....  For a video effect, doing this in CG is much easier :)

There was someone who made gas mines out of cans, but I believe they were single use only. 

Gas Mines--in a can - Pyrotechnics - APC Forum (amateurpyro.com)

From the photos he posted I'm going to say he managed to do things with regular fuse. Look at the posted link and remember the archives are your friend.