Orange star problem.

Dragon99

I have a problem with this orange

composition star. 

Potassium chlorate 1.9g

Sodium nitrate 1.9

Charcoal 0.7

Dextrin 0.7

The problem was when add water and alcohol (1:1) it was so sticky and when i cut star and when i dry it it very impossible to dry. So how can i fix it?

Sodium nitrate is very hygroscopic and it absorbs water and it dry relatively slowly than other composition.

You might use non aquous binding system like parlon( 3 to 4percent) acetone (solvent)

Again you should stay away from chlorate if possible use potassium perchlorate than potassium chlorate.

There are other formulations for orange colour exists you might give out a try if you can.

The formula you posted above seems more yellow than orange, it is simply black powder with yellowish flame.

Welcome😀

Hmm... are you sure this is supposed to produce orange? Every orange composition I have seen had a sodium compound for yellow and a strontium compound for red. red+yellow make orange

If you're looking for orange, you could try the veline orange, I found it pretty nice in hue.

Edited by Sulphurstan

On 4/16/2024 at 7:42 PM, Dragon99 said:

I have a problem with this orange

composition star. 

Potassium chlorate 1.9g

Sodium nitrate 1.9

Charcoal 0.7

Dextrin 0.7

The problem was when add water and alcohol (1:1) it was so sticky and when i cut star and when i dry it it very impossible to dry. So how can i fix it?

U will try this it's quite good orange (Chinese composition) 

Sodium nitrate-15

Strontium nitrate-28

Mgal-18(200mesh) 

Ti-13( 100 mesh) 

Redgum-8

Parlon -18

Use acetone. 

My mistake forget parlon

Edited by sachinagg

10 hours ago, sachinagg said:

U will try this it's quite good orange (Chinese composition) 

Sodium nitrate-15

Strontium nitrate-28

Mgal-18(200mesh) 

Ti-13( 100 mesh) 

Redgum-8

Use acetone. 

For red gum you have to use alcohol to bind star.

If acetone is used binder must be parlon.

100 mesh titanium gives tail to orange star and it would become wave star than peony star.

16 minutes ago, Zumber said:

For red gum you have to use alcohol to bind star.

If acetone is used binder must be parlon.

100 mesh titanium gives tail to orange star and it would become wave star than peony star.

Thanks Mr. Zumber, forget  parlon  in this composition. Parlon -18. In this star composition mesh size is not written in Ti, I has mixed Ti (40, 60 80, maybe some of 100 mesh) . Not proper remember it's gives tail or peony but quite good orange. 

Edited by sachinagg

No doubt that Sodium nitrate plus strontium nitrate gives pretty orange only problem is hygroscopic nature. Water dextrin is usless in this system.

3 minutes ago, Zumber said:

No doubt that Sodium nitrate plus strontium nitrate gives pretty orange only problem is hygroscopic nature. Water dextrin is usless in this system.

Respected Mr. Zumber

In our condition(hot weather)strontium nitrate works good not creates any problem, but sodium creates little problem for his nature. 

Yeah the problem is during storage and nitrate reaction with magnelium.

6 minutes ago, Zumber said:

Yeah the problem is during storage and nitrate reaction with magnelium.

But I face problem with aluminum not with mgal.plz.don't mind (It's my personal experience) , I have stars which I make last in 2014 -2015 (approx 10 year). all are fine no reaction

Sometimes my MgAl reacts with nitrate in presence of water.

If it is coated then there will be no problem.

23 minutes ago, Zumber said:

Sometimes my MgAl reacts with nitrate in presence of water.

If it is coated then there will be no problem.

Sorry Mr. Zumber I gave half information I always used  DM water for making stars and mgal in uncoated. 

Whats DM stands for?

I have experienced personally with my barium nitrate based green stars with magnelium fuel. Same formulation has heated up three to four times when I was preparing stars with dextrin water binding system thats the reason why I am alert every time when I want to prepare green batch.

Here two varieties are present coated and uncoated MgAl.

Therotically magnelium is stable with water but practically I have experience four time with my batch.

Magnesium water and nitrate/aluminium water reactions are common and here in our country we have stearine coated aluminium which is stable with water dextrin binding system and only problem arises with atomized aluminium with water as it is uncoated.

Edited by Zumber
spelling mistakes

2 hours ago, Zumber said:

Whats DM stands for?

I have experienced personally with my barium nitrate based green stars with magnelium fuel. Same formulation has heated up three to four times when I was preparing stars with dextrin water binding system thats the reason why I am alert every time when I want to prepare green batch.

Here two varieties are present coated and uncoated MgAl.

Therotically magnelium is stable with water but practically I have experience four time with my batch.

Magnesium water and nitrate/aluminium water reactions are common and here in our country we have stearine coated aluminium which is stable with water dextrin binding system and only problem arises with atomized aluminium with water as it is uncoated.

Mr. Zumber u r experienced person that why I discuss with u or when I need help I remember you, i never work with atomized aluminum. DM water stand for Demineralized water. Thanks for sharing your s experience it's good for me further work🙏