APC Forum

Lift cups

All10Fingers

So far, Ive been side fusing my mortars and just pouring the lift in musket style. It's worked well, but loading shells takes more effort especially if you wanted to shoot off more than one shell.

I tried strapping some homemade quickmatch to the side of some of my 1.25 inch baby shells. But doing so made my shells uneven and they wouldn't fit the launch tube very well.

So, what's the secret to piping a path for fire around your shell without compromising it's ... "Roundness"?

FYI I'm talking cans not balls

Your shells should have around .125” clearance (all the way around) in the tube. This gives ample clearance for standard quickmatch “tube”.

SAM_9170.JPG

I guess I could use a few less wraps of paper.

Funny, your shells look almost identical to mine

I've used a Macdonald's "salad bowl" card dish as a lift cup, I've also used a plastic bag with some brown paper tape to cover and protect it. Lots depend on how much lift you have designed into the final effect. The more lift you need the more structural it will need to be -a shell with a flat bottom may be stood on that flat and must not fail. 

2 hours ago, All10Fingers said:

Funny, your shells look almost identical to mine

Funny? Naw. Bare bones, hobbyist, smell the smoke pyro. I see the fancy shells, and have built some. But  back to the roots for me. I’m old and I have done what I desired. Now- once again, I just wanna have fun :)

My favorite shells are ones made out of a pre-fabricated tube from.... Something that comes in a roll. Plastic wrap, butcher paper, other plastic wrap. I just got a huge cardboard tube from a roll of pond liner. Anyways find a strong tube that's close enough to the size of mortars I have, then just and paper and or string untill it fits the way I want. 

I ran out of the 1.25id tube I had. But I have lots of these 3inch id heavy walled tubes and a 4inch id mortar. Plus I made a perfect end plug former. So that's my current project. I'm a little worried about the spolet blowing thru, but I cheated so I think it should hold.

If it works out, I'll be in position to crank these babys out as fast as I can make stars to fill em. (Damn I miss pyrodata... So much)IMG_20240407_161513572.thumb.jpg.640755e3662bf45b19d9fd25327eb519.jpg

I just cut cylindrical cardbord mortor tube I use ploy bag and keep lift in it and then insert quickmatch and tie it using cotton string of 3 to 4 turn at top head of poly bag then place lift at bottom of shell and cover lift bag with cardbord mortor tube.

15 minutes ago, Zumber said:

I just cut cylindrical cardbord mortor tube I use ploy bag and keep lift in it and then insert quickmatch and tie it using cotton string of 3 to 4 turn at top head of poly bag then place lift at bottom of shell and cover lift bag with cardbord mortor tube.

So, is the bag attached to the shell? Or do you load the lift bag into the mortar and then place the shell on top? 

Bag is attatched to shell.

You can just use cup insted of bag but poly bag keeps lift from atmostpheric moisture during  long storage of shell.