APC Forum

Strong tube trick

All10Fingers

I realize pyrotechnics have been around since the dinosaurs and I'm probably not the first to discover this. But it's something I've eec started doing and I couldn't be more happy with the results.

For rolling tubes. I dissolve a generous amount of dextrine in almost boiling water. Note it will take som significant amount of stirring untill you can't see any dextrin remaining in the water. Once you get to this point, stirr it some more until your arms get tired. Then leave this dextrin solution on the shelf for a couple days and the color will be done slightly darker.

I then mix this solution with wood glue to about the consistency of cooking oil or thin paint. I then use a sponge brush to paint the entire surface of a piece of craft paper and roll to desired size.

Once dry these paper tubes feel and sound like their made of wood. And so far within my very limited experience, haven't let me down in any way.

I've also started using this dextrin solution for granulating powders and cutting stars with only exemplary results. Again within a limited scale. But still, it's my own brain baby, it works well for me and I'm very pleased with myself for stumbling upon this and I hope it might be useful to some out there

Great..!

For tube I use Wheat paste it works fine for me & it is very cheap.

Anyways thanks for sharing.

-Zumber.

Nice! For me the type of paper has been much more important than the glue/paste used.

1 hour ago, ThunderEx said:

Nice! For me the type of paper has been much more important than the glue/paste used.

Agreed, the right paper paper makes a huge difference.  I dissolve some homemade SGRS in water (it doesn't take much) and mix with Elmer's or wood glue, do a few wraps of at least 60# kraft paper, then use a lighter weight paper on the last couple layers to keep it from unraveling while it dries.   Hard as wood but doesn't like moisture   

Edited by Soloserly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderEx said:

😄

Both are important.

Thicker consistency glue takes time to apply it over kraft paper sheets while thinner consistency spreads out readily.

Kraft paper soakes glue so before Appyling glue I use wet cloth underneath kraft paper sheet or just wet kraft paper for few minutes and wrap it in wet cloth before proceeding.