APC Forum

Hdpe identifiers

All10Fingers

This was laying in a junk pile behind a friend's house. I think it's hdpe, but it isn't directly printed on it. Does anyone speak pipe codes? IMG_20240324_180852988_HDR.thumb.jpg.f14435820358ee0b71310a380e77694f.jpg

Prolly is. It’s obviously NOT PVC. Take a knife in a “peeling” motion across it. The good stuff will give you a “peel” not a dust/particle result.

Thanks rich, again. I can shave long curled from it with a razor. My concern is it could be black and. However when I put some of the numbers and letters into Google, I get results of places trying to sell me hdpe. There's nothing specifying it as hdpe or any sort of chart (like a vin decoder for a vehicle). So whilst I can't confirm with 100% certainty it's HDPE. All evidence I can observe does suggests it is. 

I'm not quite to the level of making shells that big yet. But earlier today I obtained a 4 inch pipe and a supply of 3i nch id cardboard tubes from a warehouse that uses huge rolls of shrink wrap for palletizing. So I guess I'm getting close. 

6 hours ago, All10Fingers said:

a supply of 3i nch id cardboard tubes from a warehouse that uses huge rolls of shrink wrap for palletizing. 

I made a buttload of 3” tubes with those. Free :) plugged ‘em with a wood plug screwed and glued in.

I plugged several paper tubes simply by closing the bottom with tape then pouring polyester resin in with some chopped strand matting, over an inch has held my plugs in tube. Resin does NOT stick to HDPE so I drilled a 1/8th hole every inch round the bottom and pushed nails through to pin a 2" polyester plug into 6" tubes.