APC Forum

Can i use barium carbonate instead using barium nitrate to make green fire?

khun2555

Can i use barium carbonate instead using barium nitrate to make green fire?

Edited by khun2555
  • Like 1

Barium nitrate itself is a oxidizer and can decompose with metals and chlorine donors to prodduce green fire but barium carbonate needs other oxidizers ( potassium perchlorate I dont mention other oxidizer as a begineer level) for its decomposition.

Barium carbonate needs high temperature for its decomposition to produce oxygen.

With other oxidizer and fuels ( metallic specially) it decomposes readily to produce green fire alongwith chlorine donors to improve colour intensity.

-Zumber

Thanks, but how i can make green star with barium carbonate?

If you are new to this hobby you might stop attempting colour stars first.

Start with simple black powder related formulations first till you spend more time and get good experience and knowledge.

Search database then.....

Barium colours a flame green, strontium colours flame red, sodium colours flame yellow

Nitrates supply oxygen to a flame, carbonates do NOT.

SO barium nitrate fills two functions in a flaming star -colour and oxygen. Carbonates inhibit fire, so while barium carbonate is useful, you will have to find the flame's oxygen from something else

Any star needs it's burning and it's effect designing into it. Stars can be from 1mm to 12mm diameter typically, not only must you make them, they must be strong enough to resist their launch to height.