APC Forum

Drying perchlorates

Halorache

Hi world !

I recently got a pound of pure Ammonium Perchlorate but it seem to be somewhat wet, because cristals are slightly sticked and because because test mixes with high grade pyro metals give low performances.

Is it possible to dry this kind of perchlorate without decomposition ? And what should be the best way ?

Thank you very much and sorry for my english !

Does somebody knows about drying perchlorates ? Like on a plate in a hoven at 80°c or something ?

KClO4 shouldn't be a problem, it starts decomposing at around 400C. BUT Ammonium Perchlorate is something else, I would be very cautious with that... maybe at a low heat?

Edited by ThunderEx

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe something like 80°C on a plate in an oven ?

Probably pick a temperature 10 - 20 degrees above ambient, with a little air flow.

If you have (your own!) dehumidifier then try that.

• Like 1

If it's not a significant amount of water, tossing a few dessicant packs in a sealed container with your AP for a few days might be the simplest option.  AP does seem to have a tendency to clump up over time, even if there is not significant amounts of water in it.  

Posted (edited)

Thank you guys ! I'll try to put some dessicants packs in the air sealed bottle and see.

Edited by Halorache