APC Forum

Swimming red star.

Chandan123

Oh this is truly awesome!

Could be so small go getters inserts?

Or go-getter composition as stars, and 2/3 of the star coated with a fireproof material?

They are rolled star and without any chlorate and perchlorate .

6 hours ago, Sulphurstan said:

Oh this is truly awesome!

Could be so small go getters inserts?

Or go-getter composition as stars, and 2/3 of the star coated with a fireproof material?

No it is rolled

You can clearly see that it is coated with charcoal streamer composition first then it changes to Red colour.

I personally have experienced that only red star  with excess magnesium fuel has tendency to swim a bit.

Once long time before I made that red which were swimming a bit.

Here is link of shell I made long time before

https://youtu.be/eyX4dApHMF4?si=XOTy8ZzYcRpWAbnE

Edited by Zumber

The swimming effect can often be achieved by using cut stars as the core, made with a fierce burning composition. When these are rolled with a charcoal tail composition, the core is often ignited in an unbalanced way that causes it to jet off its normal trajectory. 

2 hours ago, Crazy Swede said:

The swimming effect can often be achieved by using cut stars as the core, made with a fierce burning composition. When these are rolled with a charcoal tail composition, the core is often ignited in an unbalanced way that causes it to jet off its normal trajectory. 

Yeah ....in the first post of mine ( thats not my shells ) it was charcoal streamer to red which has more swimming effect .

In the second video of mine ( Shell is prepared by me) which has less swimming effect.

If somhow I able to find out what formula I have used long time before I would love to coat that effect with charcoal streamer.

yes i also enquired that magnesium does the swimming effect, but not able to find the right ratio.

Right now I really dont have exact formula in hand, I need to go and find out my old diary. Its was 5 years old video.

But IIRC I have used exceess magnesium around half the amount of oxidizer.

Will get you soon if I find it in a diary.

Gotcha! Magnesium is the clue, + the streamer comp.

@Crazy Swede(I like the cut star idea, and understand the uneven ignition of the core, making the stars to fly)

@ZumberIf you find your old diary, that would be nice 🙂

Sure I will.

It is simply slow black powder plus 12 percent 200 mesh magnelium added.

Prime thickness is 5 mm and star core is 4 mm.

Potassium nitrate 50

Sulphur 13

Charcoal 15

Magnelium 200 mesh 12

Dextrin 10.

• 2 weeks later...

@Zumber.could you find the composition for the red swimming star? Thanx in advance if so.

There are many red in diary but title is written as a Red stars not swimming stars.

I need to test high magnesium containt stars.

Here is one

Strontium nitrate 5500

Magnesium powder ( 325 mesh coated ) -2600

Pvc -1000

Sulphur -250

Charcoal-100.

Binder - NC ( for 5 mm cut or cube star)

Or just use few percent parlon to bind ( cut or rolle star) with acetone.

If magnelium ( coated) is used in place of magnesium add 500 gram dextrin ( for round star) and bind with water.

https://youtu.be/eyX4dApHMF4?si=j4vo1oc7AFM9ZU5v

Just wet and knead it well so that you can make ball out of it not to sticky not too dry and put water resistant paper over it and make it flat using wooden rolling pin so that you can cut it to make cut star.

There is no proper amount of nc....