APC Forum

More flash without adding Confinement

i20rider

Hello everyone  first post.  This is relatively new territory for me.  I do alot of shooting and reloading. However my knowledge ends at the press and traditional  Commercial powders.   

The project at the moment is with a training flashbang.   It's a machined body that opens and accepts 1 inch 12 gauge blanks .

Currently they are filled with triple 7 with a role crimp.   It's cheap and easy to use.   It also will just use the 209 primer for training indoor.  

My question is.    Could I simply add a small amout of dark aluminum to the end of the shell to add more flash.     Or could it be mixed into the power.   Or if there is an easier solution to my problem. 

I have tryed to do some research on this but most of what I have found are on a much larger scale  , or for rockets.  Thank youScreenshot_20240224_132212.thumb.jpg.85451a96f714801610689fbd422619fb.jpgScreenshot_20240224_132301.thumb.jpg.9e990daaba5e11a3d9d1114acd32cd5a.jpgScreenshot_20240224_130930.thumb.jpg.13e85e333f123a76e207b9986622282e.jpg

When dealing with a steel bodied device that was built to certain specs and comes with a recommended charge type / amount, it would seem extraordinarily dangerous to try and alter that by modifying the recommended safe charge with something more powerful, leading to potentially deadly shrapnel (and I'm the one who's prob most liberal with my approach to flash around here). 

Maybe I misunderstood the question, and maybe there is some here who knows otherwise.

• Thanks 1

It's basically just a large  muzzle break at the end.     I'm not necessarily trying to make it more violent. Just a brighter flash. Screenshot_20240224_173957.thumb.jpg.833391f8b9435b419ce71940b284bd48.jpg

My primary question is: How remotely can you use the device? If you can test over a hundred yards away while it is sheltered in a deep pit, might be something to consider.

Adding a touch of dark aluminum may increase flash brightness but might also increase violence as it is a fuel. I would like to know the ratios of oxidizers to fuel in the triple 7, but the Hodgkins SDS is somewhat less precise than I would wish.

potassium perchlorate 15-40%

potassium nitrate 15-40%

sodium benzoate 5-10%

sodium nitrate 1-5%

From what I see it should oxidize the aluminum... perhaps a little too well. Exercise extreme caution.

As much as I'd like a larger bang. It's not nessisary.  I will end up making one out of steel if I feel the need.  It's offten thrown in rooms that are occupied.   So the traditional load is plenty.    However I am curious. Can small amounts of dark aluminum be mixed  in the powder  and stored in the shells for an extended amount of time with out reacting.  

Another thought. What if the dark aluminum was introduced after the contained blast.  Like in a small bad glued to the end of the shell inorder to not be contained in the initial blast. 

I know that aluminum will react with potassium nitrate especially in the presence of moisture and sodium nitrate is hydroscopic. So, if it is mixed it will likely degrade over time in a humid environment. If it is to be used relatively quickly like in a few days (at least if you deal high humidity like I do) it shouldn't degrade substantially. I would start tests with quite small amounts (a few % by weight at a time) of aluminum added to the triple 7 and always test remotely. Don't want a pipe bomb in the hand incident after all.

A tissue paper bag full of aluminum at the end might be worth testing (Remotely at first). I would caution against using a strong paper containment as it would likely become a projectile especially if some of the ports on the muzzle brake are completely covered. i.e. too strong and you just launched a low-grade beanbag round full of aluminum in a random direction.

Be careful and remember the stronger the containment of an energetic, the worse shrapnel that it can produce.