APC Forum

Which composition for these rising comets?

Sulphurstan

Hi.

Do you know which composition these 2 rising comets could be?

At 0:55 for the first one

And

1:25 for the second one

Thanx in advance

Thanx Cmjlab, but my question was about the rising tails (comets attached to the shell), rather then the stars 😉

Edited by Sulphurstan
  • Haha 1

First of all it looks rockets and shell over its heading I dont see any shell fired from mortor so its rocket motor composition actually.

First at 0.55 is bright gold streamer type and at instant 1.25 seems glitter type formulation you can clearly see shimmring sparks behind it.

Ned commonly mounts rising comets on top of his rockets to make the tail look more full. It looks like that's what he did here.

He uses a common charcoal formula, like the classic tiger tail, where he has substituted about 10 % of the charcoal for lampblack. 

I'm no chemist, but pertaining to the star formulas, I think there may be a mis-print. Purple(a) contains no strontium, but contains calcium and sodium instead?

14 hours ago, Crazy Swede said:

He uses a common charcoal formula, like the classic tiger tail, where he has substituted about 10 % of the charcoal for lampblack. 

Ok so it the lampblack which makes this looooong lasting orange fire dust?

Sulphurstan, I do not believe either of the two examples you asked about is tigertail with lampblack. I would suggest that if you really want a correct answer, ask someone like FrankRizzo to ask Ned Gorski directly. I'm sure he would be happy to provide the correct information.

EDIT to add Or ask cmjlab. 

Edited by DavidF
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sulphurstan said:

Ok so it the lampblack which makes this looooong lasting orange fire dust?

I dont think he has used lampblack.

Yes, Ned do use lampblack in those comets!

Everything is described in detail in “Lesson #2, Fireworking 401, Rocket Rising Comet Tails”.

How come you guys don’t trust me??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 6:34 AM, Crazy Swede said:

Yes, Ned do use lampblack in those comets!

Everything is described in detail in “Lesson #2, Fireworking 401, Rocket Rising Comet Tails”.

How come you guys don’t trust me??

Crazy swede, thank you. Can this video be found on YouTube ? A quick search didn't found it...

It is not a video as far as I know but content on Ned’s site Fireworking. 

Well worth the annual fee!

• Thanks 1