APC Forum

6" HDPE tubes

viziers

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, if it has you have my appologies.

On 6" tubes can they be put in a well made rack or do they need to be dug into the ground? I'm asking because i have two on order and dont really want to build a rack for nothing wasting materials, granted if it can go in a rack the two sides will have an eyelet (sp) for which ill use two roughly 4ft rebar stakes to hold the rack firmly in place.

Mumbles i know you will have a comment on this so fire away.. :D

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, if it has you have my appologies.

On 6" tubes can they be put in a well made rack or do they need to be dug into the ground? I'm asking because i have two on order and dont really want to build a rack for nothing wasting materials, granted if it can go in a rack the two sides will have an eyelet (sp) for which ill use two roughly 4ft rebar stakes to hold the rack firmly in place.

Mumbles i know you will have a comment on this so fire away..    :D

I didn't dig mine in (ordered from Kastner's). So far I only made a stand for one and have shot 3 ball shells from it - shells were single break, double petal, weighed 1100 - 1310 grams and were lifted with ~ 1/12 the weight in lift. The mortar faired just fine. YMMV.

Here's a picture of my single 2in, 3in, 4in, and 6in mortar stands:

http://www.apcforum.net/files/racks.jpg

Kinda overkill, but my friend has a chop saw and a lot of time on his hands.... :D

for the 4" could you just use wood glue/hot glue and stick it to a piece of plywood? or could you fit the mortar in a hole cut in the plywood and glue it in place? or is it nesaccary to make a stand like yours? i belive i could it would just take a while longer.

I did my 6" mortar exactly how you did your 3" qwezxc12. On my smaller ones though, I forgo the studs, and just use a wood square from plywood. They work just fine. A few screws into the wood plug and you are ready to go.

I don't think glue would be good enough crazyboy. The lift charge delivers quite a jolt. I bet it would break loose within a few firings. Like Al said you can just screw it on. For Fiberglass, I'd suggest something like what was posted in the image with a stand type of thing.

As far as 6" I'd say it'd be OK to fire single shells from a stand. If I were to be making multibreak shells, I wouldn't trust a stand. I'd want a good support all the way around from burying. Well, if I was making multibreak 6" shells, I wouldn't be firing them from HDPE anyway. Steel only for something that massive.

I don't think glue would be good enough crazyboy.  The lift charge delivers quite a jolt.  I bet it would break loose within a few firings.  Like Al said you can just screw it on.  For Fiberglass, I'd suggest something like what was posted in the image with a stand type of thing. 

so it is nesaccary to make one of those stands? and if so is the mortar resing in the stand or glued in it? also im not quite sure what you mean by "screw it on" i have never done this before although i can definatly see why you might need more than glue why would it blow the bottom off if it has a separate plug?

• 2 weeks later...
so i assume that the mortars fit into the stand and can be lifted out (they arent glued or nailed to the stand?)

so i assume that the mortars fit into the stand and can be lifted out (they arent glued or nailed to the stand?)

Nooo they sit freely in the stand and can be lifted out.

• 2 weeks later...
for the 4" could you just use wood glue/hot glue and stick it to a piece of plywood? or could you fit the mortar in a hole cut in the plywood and glue it in place? or is it nesaccary to make a stand like yours? i belive i could it would just take a while longer.

I did this. Glued my mortar (4") to a piece of plywood with PolyUrethane glue mixed with saw dust. And I dug it in. I did wonderfull B)

But I don't thrust it above ground..

• 4 weeks later...
About half of our racks have the guns screwed in so you can flip them and dump the spent lift buckets. I like having them float better though, whenever I have time I try and unscrew guns from the racks. That's gonna take a long time though, we have hundreds of racks.

• 5 years later...

HI all, just wondering on the right timber sizes to make a 6" rack for fiberglass tubes, ie 2"x2" or 1" x2" etc. I usually try to bury my HDPE, but where i usually shoot i always find solid coffee rock about 5" down.

Cheers