Bright Green Star

Rohan8858

Hello friends I am making crackers from last
 2 years but I am yet to find this bright green formula 
I have tried a lot can anyone guide me on this matter

image.png.bf042e6b9e826ffc20cb34e84826f7a5.png

image.png.34623162a3e49faf7f4fb502e1ee490f.png

Edited by Rohan8858

Unfortunately I am unable to view out attatchment.

I am using this software for the 1st time and

I don't have much experience

For image click on add files option then attatch image from gallery and then click on insert button your image will be loaded in reply.

Thank you.

Here if you search you will find out lots of good bright green formulas posted over years.

I have many formulas on the
 internet but it is pale
 green in color

Please refer to this link.

2 hours ago, CHNO said:

I am sure he will be looking for perchlorate free green because it is banned in our country.

Barium nitrate based could be one choice.

Edited by Zumber

Yes mate your guess is correct but without 
perchlorate and chlorate its hard to find a dark green star

image.png.486d089996fcebf42a50bb991996ce0d.png

1 hour ago, Rohan8858 said:
Yes mate your guess is correct but without 
perchlorate and chlorate its hard to find a dark green star

image.png.486d089996fcebf42a50bb991996ce0d.png

I already have posted a link of red and green nitrate stars which is tested many times and works great for me.

10 hours ago, CHNO said:

My Theory:

66% Ba(NO3)2

16% PVC

11% Red Gum

7% Al

What kind of theory?

I have not tried this exact formula but it looks that it will burn way too slow for stars and probably with a very poor green colour!

You are right.

It could be very slow and pale green.

Edited by Zumber

@CHNO, since you seem to be much into theoretical calculations I wonder if you have read the Journal of Pyrotechnics?

If not, I just want to point out that everything published from them (Ken and Bonnie Kosanke) should be open access nowadays and there are many very good articles related to the theoretical side. For example:

• An oxygen approach to pyrotechnic formulations (issue 7, page 15-25)
  • Organic fuels: Composition and formation of enthalpy Part I (issue 8, page 1-17)
  • Organic fuels: Composition and formation of enthalpy Part II (issue 9, page 1-19)

But, remember that thermodynamics will not tell the whole story since pyrotechnic reactions at lower pressures seldom go to 100 % completion, we always produce a lot more crap than we think, and this is part of the reasons why compositions with barium nitrate might look good on the paper but seldom burn as good as they "should" unless the temperature is very high!

Formula without (Per)-Chlorates:

Ba(NO3)2 + C2H3Cl + C2H2O + Al

This is so ok, make it better.

Pyro.png

Edited by CHNO

@CHNO

This is high level approach some people dont understand reactions.

For this approach it is necessary to study from basics atom, molecules ,electron,proton,neutron,atomic weight, molecular formula,Basics reactions , this all comes under pyrotechnic chemistry.

Kosanke publications regarding pyrotechnic chemistry are good to read.

Edited by Zumber

@CHNO, you claim the formula above to be “so good” so I assume you have done practical tests with it and watched stars burn from a distance?

What is the burn rate and how much slag is produced?

I am not familiar with the calculating sheet you are using but I guess OB at the bottom is oxygen balance? What is optimal oxygen balance for green flames?

Another question, I assume C2H2O is an approximation for red gum? From where did this come and how do we know it is correct?

Ba(NO3)2 reacts with PVC to form BaCl2. However, not so much PVC is used here; you could also use only half (0.5 moles). C2H2O is only an approximate formula for red gum. However, it does not have to be so precise. What is important here is the function as a binder. 10% should be enough. The oxygen balance is certainly not optimal. However, the mixture should still burn well with 66% nitrate. The Aluminium serves to heat up the reaction and increase the luminosity.

Thank you for the explanation!

Some general comments to green flame compositions:

Normally, the chlorine donor needs to be in excess to maximise the BaCl* formation in the flame.

Oxygen balance should be close to zero to avoid carbon particles that very easy discolours the flame with a yellow tint. 

The higher the temperature, the closer to completion the reaction will go and this is very important for barium nitrate compositions that are notorious for creating slag. 

Red gum is a good fuel to help to reduce slag but often a very small amount of charcoal is also needed in green stars based on barium nitrate only, to help ignitability and burn rate. 

Magnalium is often preferred over aluminium since it helps more with ignition, increases flame size and gives less slag. 

A little hexamine can be beneficial for a bigger flame envelope but higher levels often tint the flame yellow. 

If you have copy of kosanke pyrotechnic chemistry or shimizu flame spectra for red green blue and yellow colour you will get more info regarding this.

Bleser (PFP) has the Formula:

55% Ba(NO3)2

12% Parlon

15% PVC

18% Mg

I have calculated :

1 Ba(NO3)2 (55%) + 2 PVC  (27%) + 3.5 Mg (18%) ...

Yeah, Bleser's formula is a typical high temperature formula with magnesium and lots of chlorine donors. This is where barium nitrate performs best!

• 2 weeks later...

WW2-Formula (Haas):

In CIOS XXXII-9 wird folgende Rahmenrezeptur angegeben:
- Bariumnitrat 54 - 61 %,
- Magnesium 11 - 30 %,
- PVC oder chloriertes PVC 18 - 25 %,
- I. G. Wachs oder Vaseline 0,5 - 4 %.