APC Forum

Flash confinement

All10Fingers

I know the stigma sometimes attributed to "firecrackers" and "ground salutes" so skip that. These are under a gram each and I've never made more than 10 grams at once.  I call them finger bangers and my goal for them is to set off every car alarm in the block. My question is, is their any gain from increasing the casing strength beyond how it is now? Such as a couple wraps in electric tape or covering in a glue/confetti mixture so to resemble a cherry bomb? Again the point of these is primarily most noise from the minimal amount of material. 

IMG_20240128_233520564.jpg

I would assume the biggest gain you would get is to increase confinement strength to the ends (which are the weakest point in the picture above).  I've seen recently in some bottom shots, people are increasing the number of end discs to match the thickness of the casing, so the confinement is about equal on all sides.  

I haven't messed with firecrackers in that size though, so I'm purely speculating.

What's a bottom shot? I thought that's what they give you after you step in a rusty nail. But I assume that's not what people are talking about here

Part of the Maltese/Italian traditional cylinder shell tradition. Their long shells  (Search youtube) usually have several separate units with a short delay between them  finishing with a large flash filled bottom shot. It likely isn't 70/30 ! But the bottom shot case is immensely strong and very thick walled with lots of pasting/wrapping.

Slowwww dowwwwwn buddy

You're posting this topic in the "newbie questions" section so I assume you are a beginner.

Do you realize how dangerous flash powder can be? You should have many years of experience before even attempting to make flash. I think you should start off making some less dangerous fireworks. I just don't want you to get hurt buddy. 

• Like 1

The very purpose of this post is to make a safer firework. I'm looking to get the maximum report possible out of s device. Any can throw 10 grams in a tube and stick a fuse in it. And blow there hands off.  That's why I want to develop my method for "sub gram" devices. I understand and appreciate your concern tx. And you assume correct I am rather new to the hobby.  But you can also assume I'm an adult, with a brain, who has spent considerable time researching in this site and others.  Also assume I'm taking every necessary precaution and some probably unnecessary. You'd probably laugh at me if you seen me working with... Well any comp. I treat everything like it's a nuclear reactor full of poisonous snakes.

If you have any tips or advice relating to the posted question and methods to safely it is greatly appreciated. I don't need you to quote page one of not blowing up. I hope I don't come off as combative, any response is appreciated but I feel you kinda just copy pasted the same response if a hundred people from any thread were flash is mentioned. 

It’s quite an interesting question I think. How to get the largest perceived bang out of the smallest amount of powder. 

Flash is of course dangerous. But based on what he’s doing chances are he’ll be fine. If not… well I guess we’ll find out pretty quick if he updates his username. He’s made some shells and is at the very least not a total beginner. 

I have no idea what the answer to the question is, but I think it is more than valid. Stopping the spread of information is rarely a good way to make people safer. Nor is calling people buddy. 

While I've never made one, there's a method of using a long strip of paper and folding it over and over to form a triangle cracker. The fuse sticks out one point of the triangle. They are said to give the best bang per unit of powder. I bet there's some discussion of them somewhere on this forum.

EDITED to add:

Edited by DavidF
Additional content

I believe they are called “palumas” or something similar. Actually quite effective containment. BP makes a decent cracker with an 11” copier paper strip.

You just fold triangles. Literally...with the strip. Insert the fuse and the powder after the 2nd fold and continue folding, and tape closed.

Edited by Richtee

Cool, I might have to try those... After all that effort spent learning how to roll a tight sturdy tube. It really took some prectice. I could of just been folding triangles. Does the thickness of the paper change the report? Or space inside? Should it be filled? Halfway? Two thirds full? Would a long narrow triangle be different than a stubby One? 

The purpose of confinement is to keep less powerful mixes for long enough to fully react. With good confinement BP goes bang very well -the bang actually being the rupture of a paper container.