APC Forum

Basic Nitrocellulose Spec. Chart

Pyrogeezer

I thought this may be of interest to some members . It’s a chart with the different types of Nitrocellulose available from the manufacturer we purchase our products from in the ROC. It’s not very explanatory but shows some of the pertinent information on a few of the relevant grades of fiber that is available in bulk used in manufacturing Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

The first column Is what is referred to as the RS grade. This is a standard used in industry and by this manufacture. It represents the viscosity of the product you need to use in manufacturing a particular viscosity of a finished lacquer, "it’s not the viscosity of the actual fiber itself". A strange way of classifying things but it’s important because the fibers available are of different characteristics for different final products.

The second column refers to the actual viscosity of the finished lacquer desired in seconds measured by the Stormer viscosity method. There are many different ways of reading viscosity, but this is the  most used method in measuring lacquers, paints and coatings.

The third column refers to the appx acid concentration present in that particular fiber product when shipped. The final user can adjust this accordingly to their needs if necessary.

As you can imagine making NC lacquer isn’t really a simple process. It all depends on what characteristics you're looking for in the final product and what it's going to be used for.

NitroCellulose Viscosities.png

Thanks for sharing.  I'm going to share a link to this thread over in APC's Discord, as there was a kid asking about plasticiser for making a NC fuse coating lacquer (mainly what percentage he might add as a starting point).  Realizing you at least have more understanding of that subject, even if you can't provide specifics, I figured you might be a good starting point. 

• Like 1