APC Forum

Shelf life of atomized aluminum powder

pyrogenius007

Hello,

I have a batch of -325 mesh atomized aluminum which was purchased about 2 or 3 years back. The aluminum has caked up into hard lumps. Can it be powdered and used again or has it expired. The clumps are quite hard.

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Prob just got some moisture in it.  I'm sure if you broke it up it would still work in proportions called for in various comps. Pure speculation on my part, but if anything it might reduce the glitter or metal spark trail in stars and glitter stars.  

Again, pure speculation on my part, but I'd be curious to know how it works if you do end up trying it. Good luck.

I do have atomized aluminium stored since 3 years but it is free flowing its not caked.... and it works for me still today.

I covered it in polybag and then placed it in kraft paper bag and it is sealed in moistureproof container.

Zumber, 

Good to know your powder is still good. I started this thread so that members could help me in finding a solution for my problem

As for storage I stored my powder in a zip lock bag, placed in another plastic bag and the whole thing was placed in a bucket with a tight lid.  

I did think of the same. The clumps are very hard. I will powder it and try it out in some glitter stars. I only wanted to know if any others had the same problem and how they dealt with it.