APC Forum

What causes ball mill jars to walk

FieryCreations

I got sick on my HF rock tumbler working like crap and picked up a cheap treadmill and converted it. It already works way better, but the jar does still favor one side and ends up there after a while. Which axis is the culprit to this? Just like my HF tumbler, I have adjusted everything I can think of. I have played with the roller distance to make sure they are even, more on each side, etc. Same with making sure the entire unit is level. Even when I can't it the opposite way the jar is traveling it still goes "up."  Is this something I should even worry about?  

It can be troublesome to get the rollers evenly spaced / parallel to prevent the jar from walking off.  If you get the rollers close, you could try adding an additional castor wheel (I used my kids training wheel and bracket) to add a low friction wheel that stops it from moving any further down the rollers.  It will only work if you get the rollers close to parallel.

One other thought is are you sure that the rollers are a good distance from each other?  To far apart and the jar will ride low, and wedge between the roller adding friction or jamming it altogether.  Too close, and the jar loses stability and will exaggerate that walking /;wobbling, and throw the Jar off the side.  

35 minutes ago, cmjlab said:

It can be troublesome to get the rollers evenly spaced / parallel to prevent the jar from walking off.  If you get the rollers close, you could try adding an additional castor wheel (I used my kids training wheel and bracket) to add a low friction wheel that stops it from moving any further down the rollers.  It will only work if you get the rollers close to parallel.

One other thought is are you sure that the rollers are a good distance from each other?  To far apart and the jar will ride low, and wedge between the roller adding friction or jamming it altogether.  Too close, and the jar loses stability and will exaggerate that walking /;wobbling, and throw the Jar off the side.  

I've adjusted them all the way out and all the way in, and made sure they are even with each other at both ends. The walk is minimal, but it does favor one side.  I like the castor wheel idea, think I'll throw one on that side and forget about it. 

The only other issue I can think of would be if they are parallel to each other, but not at a right angle.  Take a speed square and see if the rollers are at a right angle.  Other than that, the additional wheel is probably easier to slap on.  Good luck.

13 minutes ago, cmjlab said:

The only other issue I can think of would be if they are parallel to each other, but not at a right angle.  Take a speed square and see if the rollers are at a right angle.  Other than that, the additional wheel is probably easier to slap on.  Good luck.

They are not, the front ones are lower. But I accounted for this by propping up the front until they were level with each other. Ah well, who knows. Extra wheel should be easy

Sorry, I should have been clear.  I didn't mean "not level" or that one roller is lower or higher than the other roller.

I meant for example - having one end of the rollers be 2" from the front edge, and the other end be a different distance from the front edge of your machine (assuming the frame is square). Then if you put your jar on, it would be at a slight angle causing it to walk off in one direction every time.

I doubt I made any sense, and now, after reading my post - I'm pretty sure, it doesn't not make much sense. Sorry.