APC Forum

Is it possible to make red blue and green if any with kno3 instead of p perch?

PyroGb

So it may not be possible for me to get perch or other can I still make colored stars?

Red, yes
Green, possibly
Blue, no (Ive tried, the closest I have come is using Barium nitrate / Copper mix to obtain a somewhat blueish flame)

Can you get other oxidizers beside KNO3? Like Strontium / Barium nitrate?

Buy or download a copy of Rev Ron Lancaster's book "Fireworks, principles and practise" start to pick aim points within your skill set, then enlarge your skills one step at a time. 

No-one here is going to give you all the oxidisers, all the fuels, all the colourants etc etc. ALSO no-one expects you to have all the chems and all the skills at the beginning. Get the skills honed making charcoal stars, then look at simple colour stars then keep expanding your supplies and abilities. 

In reality it's going to be expensive to get supplies in distant States, it may take a lot of work on your part -like driving several thousand miles. Are fireworks a normal thing in AK? If you are the only person with fireworks you may attract some attention.

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

Buy or download a copy of Rev Ron Lancaster's book "Fireworks, principles and practise" start to pick aim points within your skill set, then enlarge your skills one step at a time. 

No-one here is going to give you all the oxidisers, all the fuels, all the colourants etc etc. ALSO no-one expects you to have all the chems and all the skills at the beginning. Get the skills honed making charcoal stars, then look at simple colour stars then keep expanding your supplies and abilities. 

In reality it's going to be expensive to get supplies in distant States, it may take a lot of work on your part -like driving several thousand miles. Are fireworks a normal thing in AK? If you are the only person with fireworks you may attract some attention.

as for fireworks people love ‘em it’s a big business but I think I am the only pyro in alaska plz prove me wrong I’d love to meet Him😄

and I think at the moment the most I can make is charcoal stars, which… leads to my other question is it possible to use magnesium shaveings for glitter stars? Either way thx for the advice.

3 hours ago, redbullzuiper said:

Red, yes
Green, possibly
Blue, no (Ive tried, the closest I have come is using Barium nitrate / Copper mix to obtain a somewhat blueish flame)

Can you get other oxidizers beside KNO3? Like Strontium / Barium nitrate?

Do you have the chem formula for red?

3 hours ago, PyroGb said:

Do you have the chem formula for red?

I have red and green based on strontium and barium nitrate.

You have other chemicals?

Magnelium 200.mesh,parlon ,sulphur,charcoal,dextrin,phenolic resin etc.?

Edited by Zumber

The reason why I think you should start with charcoal stars is simple, It minimises the ingredients you must make or buy before you start. You can make fountains, rockets, and star filled shells with just  charcoal, nitrate and sulphur, if you have a source of tubes and paper. Once you have the means to break a shell in the air, you can change the charcoal stars for one, two or three rings of coloured stars or colour changing stars adding crackle and glitter and tails to each star. Also charcoal nitrate and sulphur may be available locally from agricultural/horticultural suppliers, strontium and barium and copper salts will necessitate importing from a pyro supplier in the contiguous states, or some confidence that the Canadian then Alaskan(USA) customs will let them pass  

The issue with supplies is that many "white powders" look like something that customs are looking for, and every road trip into Alaska has customs into Canada then customs into USA.  All these customs are looking for drugs and see any white powder as cocaine til proven otherwise.

Most colours made in flames are made from a metal radical and a chlorine radical releasing a photon on reaction, that chlorine radical has to come from a chlorine donor additive or from another chlorine containing species -such as a chlorate or perchlorate oxidiser. 

Remember that reds, blues and greens are made by putting specific colour generating species into an article. YELLOW is a different beast, Anything that has traces of sodium will cause bright yellow spectral emission and swamp any other colours. Sodium salts are often very soluble in water, so can be a problem, making stars go soft in damp weather.

Here is the topic for a red star with only KNO3 

The formula works, im not sure what the purpose of the silicon is, maybe leave it out and see if it still works.

THis is another composition that works.

I would suggest you to use the search functionality instead of reposting a dozen of existing topics ;)

Edited by redbullzuiper

Ok thx to answer the questions. I am makeing break shells and founants and spinners and such I have sulfer dextrin kno3 and charcoal and I think I can get strontium 

1 hour ago, redbullzuiper said:

Here is the topic for a red star with only KNO3 

The formula works, im not sure what the purpose of the silicon is, maybe leave it out and see if it still works.

THis is another composition that works.

I would suggest you to use the search functionality instead of reposting a dozen of existing topics ;)

What is the use of parlor in this is it a binder or a fuel in this comp? I’ve never used it thx for the formula tho

A chlorine donor, it can be used as a binder, but PVB is used as a binder in that composition.

Edited by redbullzuiper

4 hours ago, Arthur said:

The reason why I think you should start with charcoal stars is simple, It minimises the ingredients you must make or buy before you start. You can make fountains, rockets, and star filled shells with just  charcoal, nitrate and sulphur, if you have a source of tubes and paper. Once you have the means to break a shell in the air, you can change the charcoal stars for one, two or three rings of coloured stars or colour changing stars adding crackle and glitter and tails to each star. Also charcoal nitrate and sulphur may be available locally from agricultural/horticultural suppliers, strontium and barium and copper salts will necessitate importing from a pyro supplier in the contiguous states, or some confidence that the Canadian then Alaskan(USA) customs will let them pass  

The issue with supplies is that many "white powders" look like something that customs are looking for, and every road trip into Alaska has customs into Canada then customs into USA.  All these customs are looking for drugs and see any white powder as cocaine til proven otherwise.

Most colours made in flames are made from a metal radical and a chlorine radical releasing a photon on reaction, that chlorine radical has to come from a chlorine donor additive or from another chlorine containing species -such as a chlorate or perchlorate oxidiser. 

Thank you for the advice due to what people are saying and the fact that I cannot find a way to get stuff up here I’ll stick to bp stuff 🎇😃

BP is the start to much pyro, once you have tried and succeeded with everything BP based, then it's time to drive yourself to the contiguous states and to a supplier for perc, magnalium and colourant salts.

If and when I do that how much do I get that will make it worth the trip?