APC Forum

Easier "optimized" ball mill

FieryCreations

Not sure how it will hold up but I was following Skylighters optimized ball mill article and taking the whole thing apart seemed like a lot of work. So I just grabbed some electrical tape, started it at one side of the tube installed on it, turned it on and let it wind itself while running it back and forth until it reach a consistent 3/4 OD like the tube they wanted. It took a total of 30 seconds. It seems to work just fine and doesn't require taking the whole thing apart. Just throwing it out there.

If it works for you, that's great. 

I'm not downplaying your idea here, just sharing a similar experience..... I tried that with Gorilla Tape once, what happened was after the 5 or 6th time of using it, the black non-sricky side of the tape wore off leaving just the gum adhesive which then warmed up and stuck to my Rebel ball mill jar making quite the mess before throwing it off the rollers!  My punishment was cleaning all the gunk off the rollers and mill jar, then using clear tubing from Lowes to increase the size.  That has held up for a couple years now.

Since Electrical tape is not the same as gorilla tape, hopefully yours stands up longer than mine.  I also don't know how large of a mill jar you have, but mine was running 33(ish) pounds of lead media, so I'm sure that didn't help in my situation.  Let us know how it stands up over time - everyone likes easy! 🙂

• Like 1

Haha oh no! Well I'm on the third time (hour 9) and so far it's ok. That sounds like a pain to clean up.