APC Forum

Ninja smoke

All10Fingers

Since long before I ever got into pyrotechnics, I've was infatuated by the movies where someone throws some sort of pellet to the ground before they disappear in a poof smoke. Is it possible to make these somehow? I've tried making a sugar/ kn03 mixture and forming it around a party snap. Unsurprisingly, it didn't work. Has anyone ever done anything along these lines?

I have no idea but I always just assumed they're flash pots or something similar on the ground and the item that's thrown is just an empty prop. Basically movie fantasy shit. Could you make a device that explodes when you throw it on the ground that releases smoke/dust/vapour or whatever? Of course. I just doubt it's going to be anything like the movies, or effective in any way.

I'd love for someone to prove me wrong though, because they sure look cool!

Edited by MicroGram

A little pill filled with chlorate flash powder and white phosphorus should do it ;). Although I think I’d rather die by bullet than phosphorus poisoning. 

I’m sure it could be done! Maybe just not in such a small package as in the movies. The best smoke agent is phosphorus at 0.063g/m^3 of smoke generation. The best option non toxic enough to use would be TiCl4 and with liquid ammonia, which is about 2/3 as good as phosphorous. Both are liquids so can be dispersed by explosive. The generation of smoke occurs by production of titanium dioxide and ammonium chloride. TiCl4 is not widely available. 

For the amateur, probably flash powder mixtures based on magnesium and tempted with NH4Cl are as good as you could do. 

Not very safe, but interesting project.