APC Forum

So I got this arbor press...

MrCATO

The 1 ton arbor press was finally back in stock at my local harbor freight. I wanted to try this out instead of hand ramming my rockets. The one caleb over at woodysrocks makes and the one ned gorski uses seems to have a torque wrench mounted on the right side. It is to my understanding torque wrenches while working in both directions only click in the clockwise direction. To lower the ram I would have to rotate the wrench counterclockwise if it were on the right side. Mounting it on the left side is not out of the question, I just need some advice on the easiest way to get this modification done.

I have this 1/2 drive torque wrench, is this too much force for this particular press. I intend on making the small 5/8id "cohete" style motors with this since I already have the tooling for it.

With my 1 ton arbor press, I ground the right side of the shaft to accept a 1 1/8" socket, 1/2" drive. I mounted a heavy steel pulley on the left side to manually raise and lower the ram and to keep it from dropping when I wanted it to stay up. My torque wrench has a forward/neutral/reverse switch on it. I set the torque, bring the ram down to the rammer, and press the increment. Then I click the switch the other way and raise the ram. I load the next increment, click the switch the other way, bring the ram to the work, and press again. Once you get the hang of it, pressing with an arbor press is faster than using a hydraulic press. It's great for small rockets and will press a 5/8" ID motor, no problem.

Did you weld the socket to the shaft? Your torque wrench clicks (indicates) in both directions? Mine has a switch as well but I'm not sure if it'll click CCW.

Here's my progress on the press.

I got a tap and die set and tapped some threads for an axle bolt on the left of the spindle so I could mount a lawn mower wheel. Seems to work so far.

I did the threaded rod and PVC thing but I don't think I'll need the full height of the rods so I raised it just a little. 

I tried just putting a bolt on the right side so I didn't have to grind anything but the first bolt broke before I could get it tight enough to not come loose under operation. The red loctite on the second bolt didn't hold either so I'm going to try doing as suggested with fitting a socket over it. I got an angle grinder, hope that's the correct tool.

Right now I'm trying to cut the front of the  base off and I've tried several different sawzall blades and none of them seem to be able to cut through, at least at a reasonable speed. I've got a DeWalt elite carbide tipped blade and it's the best I've got but after two minutes of sawing it's probably about an eighth to a quarter of an inch through.

maybe it's my 6 amp harbor freight saw, I'm not too mechanically inclined. I figured the blade would make all the difference.

IMG_20231231_173514326.jpg

IMG_20231230_224145577.jpg

I used a 1 1/8" bolt to mark the right end of the shaft and cut it carefully with an angle grinder. I also used the angle grinder to cut the front off. The key thing for me was to use a 5" disc 1/16" thick. A 1/8" disc takes WAY longer. I'm used to using these thin discs to clean scrap metals. Don't slip :)

I used a steel pulley on the left side due to the weight. That lawn mower wheel might be too light to keep the ram from dropping.

I use the PtoF gauge to set the torque wrench and then just use the clicks.

The splines on your shaft look way meatier than the ones on mine.

Looking good, I bet you'll enjoy that Lil press! 

I started with the exact same HF press too, and it worked well.  Then this past summer I bought a Chinese (Vevor) 3 ton Arbor press.  I bought 3/4" threaded rod to mod it like your doing, but when it showed up, the throat was tall / deep enough for 1# tooling I didn't need to modify it.  I still plan to raise it, I even drilled the holes, but then procrastination kicked in and I've yet to finish!  

Anyway, can't wait to see what you make with it!  Good luck.

Posted (edited)

Ground the shaft down a bit. I tried doing it in a hex pattern and didn't do to well. It fits but it's not right. I got it on just enough to test it though. My torque wrench wasn't clicking for some reason. "Exercised it", still wasn't clicking. Went to increase the torque some more when the bottom popped off and now it's broke.  I still got my 3/8th one I just bought but the socket I ground the spindle for was 1/2 drive.

Don't have the receipt for it but it's harbor freight so if I can't exchange it isn't a huge deal. All things considered though, I've dumped a lot of money in buying new tools to DIY this to avoid paying for one ready to go from Caleb. Always needing something small here and there I haven't considered so it's starting to add up.

One thing I tried to do was drill through the socket and through the spindle to insert a retaining pin so I wouldn't have to get it welded but the socket is too hard to penetrate.

I can have someone weld the socket for me later and get a new torque wrench or cut my losses and sit aside a chunk of change for Caleb's press.  Probably wouldn't make sense though being this close to the finish line.

Not sure where to go from here.

Edited by MrCATO

Caleb makes quality products and they can cost a bit up front, but can be worth not having to worry about their functionality once you do make the purchase.  

Unfortunately, regardless whether you buy pre-made OR diy, you will always be learning some new tool/device/gadget that you hadn't considered, and will feel that you MUST have it.....  That's the downfall of pyro!  🙂

Agreed to that. I absolutely know caleb makes quality tools, my tooling set was my first purchase from him and I just received the support block from him as well with the press gauge. Glad to have him as resource in this hobby. As far as the torque wrench goes harbor freight exchanged it for me even without the receipt. Everything seems to be working so far, but I still have to get that socket installed properly.

I got a copy of pressing calculations with my order but I don't really know how to interpret it. I'll be building the 5/8id cohete style motors. I'm assuming this is an 8oz rocket. under 6,000PSI (assuming this means the gauge) it says 1,839 lb. Is this the PSI I press the fuel increments to? Seems to convert to about 120 ft lbs on my torque wrench, at least with the built in ram. I haven't tried it with the tooling yet, made of aluminum so I'm a bit scared to lol.