APC Forum

Quick match questions.

FieryCreations

I tried making a jig out of a piece of stiff tape measure like a guy on Youtube did but it sucked. Picked up a cheap curtain rod and it's way easier.

Is there anything out there that's more efficient/easier for rolling tubes? It slips out of the curtain rod slot pretty frequently. 

Do you normally roll them with your black match in them, or add it after? If after, how to you pull long lengths through? I keep hitting snags and it crumples and wont go through. 

Does the diameter of the tube make a big difference? I got the smallest curtain rod I could find, but it's still probably 3-4x the diameter of my match. 

What's the best way to make looong ones? I tried sliding a new paper on my curtain rod before completely removing the rolled piece. It worked ok, but you could definitely tell it's weaker where they connect. 

I use smooth steel rod to prepare quick match tube ,it comes out easily.

You can easy get from persons who make kitchenware work.

Aluminium rod works too.

Edited by Zumber

9 hours ago, FieryCreations said:

I tried making a jig out of a piece of stiff tape measure like a guy on Youtube did but it sucked. Picked up a cheap curtain rod and it's way easier.

Is there anything out there that's more efficient/easier for rolling tubes? It slips out of the curtain rod slot pretty frequently. 

Do you normally roll them with your black match in them, or add it after? If after, how to you pull long lengths through? I keep hitting snags and it crumples and wont go through. 

Does the diameter of the tube make a big difference? I got the smallest curtain rod I could find, but it's still probably 3-4x the diameter of my match. 

What's the best way to make looong ones? I tried sliding a new paper on my curtain rod before completely removing the rolled piece. It worked ok, but you could definitely tell it's weaker where they connect. 

Have you tried sliding the paper in from the end, instead of trying to mess with putting it in from the front.  I use a curtain rod most of the time I want to make a large amount of pipes, and I hold the paper stationary while sliding the curtain rod onto the paper from the end.  

I've made them quicker with a normal metal rod and just turned the rod at a slight angle to the paper then roll it up, making sure the paper doesn't telescope.  

Then there is the method described in Fulcanelli for quick match tubes.  

A 3/8" pipe has worked well for me, as has a 5/16" pipe, both sizes allow a good stiff black match to slide down into the pipe from the top.  Both sizes allow fire to propagate quickly from one end to the other.  It will often transfer fire quicker if both ends are tied closed around the match.

I also have a large roll of the pyro creations red match pipe, but I usually struggle to fit more than 1 maybe 2 strands of match inside. The string usually ends up breaking after pulling 10/15 ft of match, which I guess I could solve by not making 1/8" thick match.

If you want long pipes, then smush the end of one of your pipes and shove it into another pipe (after you have match in them OR again hold a long piece of stiff black match stationary and slide the sections of pipe onto the match to make the length you need.  Just join the pieces of pipe together by smashing one end slightly smaller and into the other piece.

• Like 1