APC Forum

Kraft Paper

Zumber

Hello dear Friends...!!

I was reading Dr.Shimizu article on fireworks shell pasting in which two terms were mentioned.

1 -Wide paper width with fibers  arranged perpendicular to length of paper strip.

2-fibers arranged parallel to length of paper strip.

So my question is how to identify fiber direction on kraft paper?

As a bookbinder, this question is very important to working when paper as it affects its strength considerably! It is only about half as strong when pulling against the fibers as opposed to with the fibers. You can identify grain by eye if you have a bright light, by folding, or by wetting the paper. The second piece is just the first piece rotated.

This video by an Australian book binder explains the phenomenon and how to identify it very well. 

https://youtu.be/CVTmPoc9JlE?si=RfqSX_xa2kvZ8kV-

Edited by AustralianPyromaniac

Wow... Thats a really nice information. It solved my problem.

Thank you very much...!!😊😊😊

To determine grain direction you can wet it, tear it, or fold it.

This excerpt from "Traditional Cylinder Shell Construction" details how to use the wet/dampening method:

image.thumb.png.11d6e10e4b56408edaa9718c5cdd2ffb.png

image.thumb.png.38ccd6b23e7cad8451f3cba089427aee.png

Edited by MicroGram

9 hours ago, MicroGram said:

To determine grain direction you can wet it, tear it, or fold it.

This excerpt from "Traditional Cylinder Shell Construction" details how to use the wet/dampening method:

image.thumb.png.11d6e10e4b56408edaa9718c5cdd2ffb.png

image.thumb.png.38ccd6b23e7cad8451f3cba089427aee.png

Thank you for another response....Its really helpful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zumber said:

Thank you for another response....Its really helpful.

Zumber, are you from India? I was wondering what the availability of acids is there. I know many acids were banned in 2012, mainly HNO3 and H2SO4 are problems, but can you still get them? And is HCl very common? How easy is it to get that? 

Yes I am from India.

As I am hobbiest pyrotechnician and I have nothing to do with acids so I have never purchased acids.

In 2013, the Supreme Court outlined that establishments selling acid would need a licence to do so, and have to be registered under The Poisons Act 1919. In addition, shops need to maintain a register of their stock and individual sales of the acid. It also underlined that owners of such shops must ask customers to disclose the reason for buying acid and furnish an identity proof.

Cool, thanks. Acids are very important for a lot of chemical reactions, particularly in making chemicals for pyrotechnics, if you can’t buy them. In Australia HCl is very easy to get, and I think it’s available mostly everywhere in the world, but it’s hard for me to know for sure. I thought you might have some info about India because I know it is quite restrictive, but all good if you’re not sure. 

1 hour ago, AustralianPyromaniac said:

Cool, thanks. Acids are very important for a lot of chemical reactions, particularly in making chemicals for pyrotechnics, if you can’t buy them. In Australia HCl is very easy to get, and I think it’s available mostly everywhere in the world, but it’s hard for me to know for sure. I thought you might have some info about India because I know it is quite restrictive, but all good if you’re not sure. 

Yeah restrictions are there  but I almost have all chemical access needed for me.

Though most of important chemicals are banned too but we have switched to other chemicals and changed formulations too.

• Like 1

Hello again friends🙂

Found this very useful video regarding shell pasting.I thought if I could share this in forum it could be helpfull for members here. Here is the link.

Not a clue what they were saying, but I got sucked into watching the whole video of that lady pasting like a pro, in her Sundays best!  Cool find.

5 hours ago, MicroGram said:

What kind of tape/paper was she using?

I am not sure. But seems like it is kraft paper. I am curious about what kind gum is used. If it is gummed tape paper then it must be moisted with water before pasting but  person sitted near is just passing paper tape to lady he is not doing anything with paper. I will go with wheat paste and kraft paper  I just want to know order of pasting so I downloaded video slowed down its speed in my video player and watched it 3  to 4 times and understood its order.

• 3 weeks later...

That is likely wheat paste being used.  If you notice, she is pulling a folded over piece of paper apart before pasting.  It's not uncommon to spread the paste on a large sheet of paper, fold it over on itself pasted side touching, and then slice it into strips with a knife.  It doesn't get as broken in as some other processes, but if it sits for a while the paste penetrates the paper fairly well.  Folding it over on itself can help to prevent it from drying out prematurely.  

3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

That is likely wheat paste being used.  If you notice, she is pulling a folded over piece of paper apart before pasting.  It's not uncommon to spread the paste on a large sheet of paper, fold it over on itself pasted side touching, and then slice it into strips with a knife.  It doesn't get as broken in as some other processes, but if it sits for a while the paste penetrates the paper fairly well.  Folding it over on itself can help to prevent it from drying out prematurely.  

Thank you .

3 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Thank you .