APC Forum

Skyrockets in the neighborhood

TXpyro

I was thinking about making shells for some B6-4 rocket motors (since I don't have rocket tooling) with about 20 inch sticks. They weigh .75 oz or about 22 grams. Are skyrockets/bottle rockets safe to use in neighborhoods? 

I'm kind of skeptical about lighting them. Not because of the noise but because of falling debris. The only time I would light them would be during New Year's Eve. 

What are the dangers? Is falling debris something to look out for? Should I be in a more open area? 

Just to clarify, my neighborhood HOA doesn't have restrictions on fireworks. 

Edited by TXpyro

There's absolutely no restrictions. Not a word said. I've been doing other types of home manufacturer and consumer fireworks for years. 

I would not want to fire rockets in my neighborhood until I have a 100% success rate with building and launching rockets, them testing them with headers in a remote and safe area.

A significant risk is not just rocket failure, but the rocket sends a shell into someone's house, car, or a person and explodes causing injury.  

Another risk is fallout (stick, spent motor tube).  Nobody likes lawn darts anymore.

10 minutes ago, cmjlab said:

I would not want to fire rockets in my neighborhood until I have a 100% success rate with building and launching rockets, them testing them with headers in a remote and safe area.

A significant risk is not just rocket failure, but the rocket sends a shell into someone's house, car, or a person and explodes causing injury.  

Another risk is fallout (stick, spent motor tube).  Nobody likes lawn darts anymore.

Got it. I guess I don't need to be making any skyrockets this year. Lol

Don't you have somewhere you can go to test rockets once you've made them? Or "state land" where nobody is around to get hurt if something goes wrong.... (Just bring a fire extinguisher or 2)!

7 minutes ago, cmjlab said:

Don't you have somewhere you can go to test rockets once you've made them? Or "state land" where nobody is around to get hurt if something goes wrong.... (Just bring a fire extinguisher or 2)!

It's thin pickings. I'm in central Texas so it's just a bunch of land owners and state parks.