APC Forum

How do you dry BP in winter?

FieryCreations

I've had it spread out thin for 3+ days and it still doesn't pass the plastic bag test. It's extremely cold here with 73% humidity.

If it's unsafe to dry it inside, how do you safely dry it in these conditions?

I've been thinking about getting a vacuum desiccator. That seems like it may be safe to use inside since it's in an isolated chamber?

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

Try putting the powder in a snap top plastic bag also containing a substantial bag of dried silica gel (repeatedly).

I have large packets of silica so I'll give that a try in a gallon ziplock for this small starter batch. 

Any more techniques that are more efficient for larger quantities? Would that vacuum desiccator work well? Line the bottom with Silica and have it dry like your bag idea but quicker? 

VACUUM-DESICCATORS.jpg

A dry box is handy for drying B.P., blackmatch, stars, pasted shells, etc.

Can be as simple as a large cardboard box with placed over a screen or rack of drying B.P., placed outside and a ceramic heater vented through the box. 

Can be as elaborate as a plywood box with multiple shelves for frames screens to sit on (like a bakers rack) with ceramic heater, dehumidifier, and baffles or wire mesh screen in the vents to catch the possible errant spark. 

Sky's the limit, just use it outside!

• Like 1

Royal Gunpowder Mills has the huge room (size of a village hall!) that was heated with steam pipes to 100F to finally dry barrels of powder. 

Any dryer used with power should be outside at a separation distance appropriate for the quantity involved.

Edited by Arthur
added
  • Like 1

I just spread it out thinly on pieces parchment with a bit of gentle air movement in a spare room with no sources or ignition. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by MicroGram

19 hours ago, MicroGram said:

I just spread it out thinly on pieces parchment with a bit of gentle air movement in a spare room with no sources or ignition. 🤷‍♂️

I have an empty spare bedroom. I might just do this. I don't see how it could ignite in an isolated room. 

I just throw my BP in the oven for a couple hours. Jk. Lol

Edited by TXpyro
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TXpyro said:

Idiot!

Everyone knows you do it in the wood stove while you cook dinner and heat your retort!

Kids these days…..🙄

😉

Try a domestic dehumidifier, either to dehumidify the shed you are working in, OR put the dehumidifier in a large cardboard box with the powder/comp/components you need to dry. Both use mains, so either should be done at a suitable safety distance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just get an old stove with a proveing chamber

benifites

completly isolated

can put out side

no risk of ignition

down sides you gota get lots of wood

or ya know you could just get one of those fruit dehydrators.  

On 12/18/2023 at 3:45 PM, TXpyro said:

Personally I like drying my bp poured out on my bedroom floor with one or two of those big buddy heaters (the ones run via diesel) do note!!! This is very important ONLY AND I MEAN ONLY DRY during the night. 
very useful to dry quickly results in about 10-15 min after you fall asleep lol 

just call 1.800-111111 for real life testimony’s on how this changed peoples lives 😂🤣

Funniest feed I’ve seen yet lol🤣👍

• Haha 1