APC Forum

Paste for tubes and shell casings?

FieryCreations

Is using Elmers white glue a bad idea?

I've read white dextrin is kind of the go to and that yellow dextrin isn't so good. By random chance, I'm pretty sure I have a huge box of yellow dextrin in my garage from years ago that I bought as hide glue for taxidermy. Is it worth spending money to get the white dex, or should I just use what I have to get started and learn? 

Tubes need a lot of care and tooling. If the diameter is off the loading and ramming tools don't fit. If the paper was too wet or too dry then the tubes may shrink, sag or warp.

Pasting shells is better defined because the hemis that hold the contents are round and this guides and forms the pasting shape.

Wheat paste works fine for me though it dry relatively slow than white glue.

White glue plus water is another choice but it would be expensive.

Yellow Dextrin works great as a star binder, I haven't used it to roll tubes though.  I've not seen white dextrin sold at pyro supply before,and I've never used it, so I couldn't tell you how well it works. 

Elmer's glue works great for rolling tubes. 

Wallpaper paste works great for rolling tubes.

Wheatpaste works great for rolling tubes. 

Some people have tried dextrin glues for rolling tubes (if you search the forum for adhesives or dextrin glue you should find info), they reported it worked too.

Good luck.

Edited by cmjlab
Specifying what I used dextrin for