APC Forum

Skylighter 10lb BP kit and other questions

TXpyro

I have too many questions lol

Is the 10lb black powder kit from skylighter worth it? I've bought the individual chemicals in the past but I decided to go big and buy the kit.

Also, I want to make LEGAL firecrackers this year but I don't have a scale that can measure such small amounts (50mg). What should I do? 

Is the legal limit for areal salutes also 50mg? If not, what is it? 

Can I legally transport black powder via car? 

What is a good website to buy hardened lead milling media? I have 1/2 inch lead rounds but they have decreased in size dramatically. 

Is skylighter visco fuse overpriced? Is the quality better? 

2 hours ago, TXpyro said:

I have too many questions lol - Questions are good, that's how you find out other people's input and perspective (assuming you're not asking what has been asked and answered a zillion times).

Is the 10lb black powder kit from skylighter worth it? I've bought the individual chemicals in the past but I decided to go big and buy the kit. - I don't know was it?  :-). To me no, but if it was convenient for you, and you are satisfied with what you get, for the price you paid, then I guess it was worth it.  (Not being a smart ass).  A better question may be 'is the most cost effective way to make B.P.?' - The answer is no it's cheaper if you can buy in bulk, and order as much as you can under one shipment, and be able to make multiple pyro items by adding other things, like you said.

Also, I want to make LEGAL firecrackers this year but I don't have a scale that can measure such small amounts (50mg). What should I do? - 50mg doesn't make you legal, that's a limit for commercial items authorized for sale to consumers.  Laws vary state to state, so it really depends on your state / locality 

Is the legal limit for areal salutes also 50mg? If not, what is it? -There are people in here who are far smarter in this stuff than I am, but I'll take a crack and they can correct me. Anything you make does not fall under the same rules as consumer pyrotechnic items (1.4g), but would be more comparable to 1.3g items, but again could only be sold if made by someone with a manufacturers permit, and sold only to another FEL holder 

Can I legally transport black powder via car?  - Tricky question.  Again there are those smarter than me who know this, so I'll let them answer.  

What is a good website to buy hardened lead milling media? I have 1/2 inch lead rounds but they have decreased in size dramatically. 

Is skylighter visco fuse overpriced? Yes Is the quality better?  I've bought from cannonfise.com, pyro creations, and Posty44 who sells goods American Visco on here, but I've never bought skylighter....so I don't know about their quality. What I have bought always comes with a heavy NC lacquer coat, but hasn't interfered with the fuse working.

Edited by cmjlab

Actually, what kind of charcoal does it come with?  

Have you made your own yet?  It's a pretty easy and rewarding experience, and a good B.P.  charcoal like Willow, Eastern Red Cedar, etc could help you improve the B.P. you make.  There an article on creagan.net or witchitawbuggy.com which has a decent study on different woods for charcoal and how good the B.P. made from them performs (an interesting read if nothing else).

There are a lot of TLUD articles floating around, that's what I use now.  I started with a normal retort cooked in another fire, and it works, but the TLUD is so much simpler, and easy to make.  

Thought of all this after a bit, thinking about how you could make a good hot 10lb batch of B.P.

14 hours ago, cmjlab said:

Actually, what kind of charcoal does it come with?  

Have you made your own yet?  It's a pretty easy and rewarding experience, and a good B.P.  charcoal like Willow, Eastern Red Cedar, etc could help you improve the B.P. you make.  There an article on creagan.net or witchitawbuggy.com which has a decent study on different woods for charcoal and how good the B.P. made from them performs (an interesting read if nothing else).

There are a lot of TLUD articles floating around, that's what I use now.  I started with a normal retort cooked in another fire, and it works, but the TLUD is so much simpler, and easy to make.  

Thought of all this after a bit, thinking about how you could make a good hot 10lb batch of B.P.

Yes, I have made black powder in the past. The skylighter kit comes with mixed hardwood charcoal. The TLUD charcoal cooking concept is genius. I've just used a paint can in the past.