APC Forum

Simple Brilliant white star comp

TXpyro

Found a cool star comp. I tested it a while back and its blinding. Almost like magnesium. It produces these heavy white sparks. 

I know it looks a lot like flash powder but when you mix it with the dextrin and water it dramatically slows down the burn rate. I wouldn't mix it in these quantities. When mixed with the water, it's really sticky so it works well as sparkler comp. 

KClO3 44.4

Al 44.4

Dextrin 11.2

Flash powder and white star mix probably have like ingredients BUT the particle size and the precise formula will have dramatic effect. In every mix (except BP) the particle size and method are hugely important. Without these figures you are guessing -which is usually based on bad experiences.

Reminds me of the Rosette Comp, without the course Titanium that Swisher refers to, used in Italian shells by wetting and screening through a course mesh screen to create granulated comp, then used in well confined inserts.

Careful with KCL03 and metals, I'm glad you worked with it damp.  kCL03 often has more sensitivities, especially with fine mesh metals - not meant to insult your intelligence, but wanted to include the warning in case you or someone else may not have known.

For rolled stars it could also burns within seconds and finishes effect instantly also priming is as issue. It could be made pumped and primed with sulphurless priming. No doubt that Chlorate gives brightest spark effect but considering safety I prefer Nitrate based white.